Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

UPGRADED BRAKES NOT IMPRESSED YET

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2006, 05:51 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UPGRADED BRAKES NOT IMPRESSED YET

Got 04 STI,front brakes were getting a bit worn so i thought id take the oppertunity to upgrade.So i changed from the standard setup to thisBA 5000 discs with the alloy bells,ferodo ds 2500s front and rear,goodridge braided lines front and rear,changed brake fluid at the same time to mintex 5.1.The brakes are good but not as good as expected,done about 200 miles on them gentle bedding in process.Perhaps they need more time.My last car i just changed the frontpads to ds2500s and instatly the brakes were better.Maybe the standard STI set up is pretty good standard.Any input into this would be nice regards JAY
Old 26 March 2006, 09:31 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

The standard STI pads if my memory serves me right are Jurid and work fine from cold compared with the DS2500 that need at least two three brake applications to perform well!
I also have DS2500 in my car and have found the Yellowstuffs type R much better even from cold with better initial bite and bear in mind they are "racing" pads!

Last edited by JIM THEO; 27 March 2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:20 PM
scantsmcj
Scooby Newbie

Default bigger brakes are they a black art?

Originally Posted by jay knowles
Got 04 STI,front brakes were getting a bit worn so i thought id take the oppertunity to upgrade.So i changed from the standard setup to thisBA 5000 discs with the alloy bells,ferodo ds 2500s front and rear,goodridge braided lines front and rear,changed brake fluid at the same time to mintex 5.1.The brakes are good but not as good as expected,done about 200 miles on them gentle bedding in process.Perhaps they need more time.My last car i just changed the frontpads to ds2500s and instatly the brakes were better.Maybe the standard STI set up is pretty good standard.Any input into this would be nice regards JAY
Interested to see your comments. You may be interested to see the discussion on the thread called 'are brakes a black art. Proper test measurements on a 350Z were not very encouraging.
Old 11 April 2006, 07:46 PM
white
Scooby Regular

I don't know if this will help, but I currently have STOPTECH 4 pots fitted to my CTR and the bed-in process they recommended was unlike anything I'd seen before.

Take a look http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

Before I had a chance to do this was a bit disappointed with the performance, but once this was carried there was an instant change to the performance of the brakes.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:05 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay knowles
Taken a while for this thread to get going.Ive probably done about 500 miles on the new set up now,ive done some proper heavy braking from high speed now and im far happier with the set up,im starting to get very confident with the new brakes,theres definatly an improvement in there performance.Regards JASON