STI Setup on 04 WRX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 12:32 AM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up STI Setup on 04 WRX Wagon

Hi All,

I would like to upgrade my setup on my MY04 wagon.. and was considering if an option would be just to do a complete swap for an STI 8/9 setup (Disks/calipers). The reason was exploring this avenue, was that i may be able to get a complete setup of an STI from a breakers, or someone with an STI that is upgrading theirs and could have their hand-me-downs.

Would this at all be possible, would a STI 8/9 setup fit in my WRX and what Would I need to do this.

Cheers to anyone that can help
Old 13 March 2006, 02:07 AM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

It should just be a swap over between the 2. Just make sure you get all the brackets etc. If i'm wrong don't blame me
Old 13 March 2006, 10:09 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

We've just tried it on a MY03, but had some issues with the rears. The handbrake shoes are a different size for the Brembo's, and not sure if there are any driveshaft issues?
Old 13 March 2006, 10:21 AM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys

I also had some info i read on other threads that the rears will need STI hubs for the WRX... not sure how true this is, but for now its only the front stoppers on the list, thanks again
Old 13 March 2006, 11:29 AM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RRH
We've just tried it on a MY03, but had some issues with the rears. The handbrake shoes are a different size for the Brembo's, and not sure if there are any driveshaft issues?
Let us know how you resolve this if you get it to work ... have heard i would need STI Hubs for the rear bremebos ... have your or anyone heard anything similar

What would be involved
Old 13 March 2006, 01:48 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

smiles

As well as the issues with getting the rears to fit there are a couple of other things to think about.

The 5 door has less arch clearance than a 4 door and you may run into tyre clearance issues with the wheels that you would need to fit over the front calipers.

The piston sizes on the STi calipers are much larger than the original WRX ones so the hydraulic balance in the brake system will be very front biased. This may give issues with ABS operation.

Mike
Old 13 March 2006, 01:56 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
smiles

As well as the issues with getting the rears to fit there are a couple of other things to think about.

The 5 door has less arch clearance than a 4 door and you may run into tyre clearance issues with the wheels that you would need to fit over the front calipers.

The piston sizes on the STi calipers are much larger than the original WRX ones so the hydraulic balance in the brake system will be very front biased. This may give issues with ABS operation.

Mike
Many thanks Mike ... all good comments
Old 04 May 2006, 09:48 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWood
smiles

Mike
This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to counteract this (apart from messing about with fitting sti hubs and brakes at the rear)?

I'm not too hot with all this technical stuff, but there's something called "brake adjustment valve" (or something similar) from some after market companies that let you set the brake bias, right? Using one of them, would the front brakes "brake less", or would it simply make the rear ones brake more?

I'm guessing that as standard, the brakes are front biased as you don't want your rear wheels locking up under braking (at least not before the front ones).

Oh, also: How does a front brake biased car behave? Is it a pain or does it not really matter?