Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Squeel - Driving me Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 06:18 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake Squeel - Driving me Nuts

Running a fairly new set of Pagids on my std 97MY classic. Not too long ago I noticed a really annoying squeel from the fr. o/s wheel so I tried some of that Halford copper grease (spray) on the back of the pads. Squeeling went away for a couple of days but then came back.

So I went back to Halfords and this time got a tub of copper grease, which I smeared over the back of the pads today. Just been for a blast and although it's reduced the squeeling, its still there and sounds like its working its way back to full annoyance levels again.

...so, not happy and if this continues I'll probably end up as nutty as the surfer guy from apocalypse now! .... I guess I could try bunging the rest of the grease into my ears but maybe somebody out there has got a better fix.

Cheerz
Old 07 March 2006, 08:02 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Usually the old coppergrease smeared on the back of the pad does the trick and on the calipers where the metal parts of the pad seat on the caliper.You could also try chamfering the edges of the friction material and roughing the face of the pad up to make sure there totally clean!!

Could also be a characteristic of the pads,i had mintex 1155's on my last scoob and they where a pain in the **** when cold!!
Old 07 March 2006, 08:48 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

Now that you mention it, I did think about smearing some on the caliper faces, especially after I observed how effective they were at wiping off the grease during refitting!!!- but it was wet, cold and my builder's crack was showing...
I'll give it another go tomorrow, (properly this time).

Thanks for the advice.