Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Master Cylinder Knackered?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 11:54 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Master Cylinder Knackered?

Hi All

MY95 Impreza GL non ABS with 2-pots from MY98 WRX. My pedal has been getting progressively squidgier for months so I changed the fluid to try to solve the problem (I didn't introduce the problem and nothing was done to the brakes to start the problem - so I'm pretty certain there's no air in the system) but made no difference.

Had the car into local garage to have a CV boot changed and brakes looked at and the guy found a seized slider on the offside caliper so freed and greased this and said new pads should solve the problem (as they had worn at an angle so could explain the long travel/poor feel). I've installed new pads today and it has made the problem worse! Pedal will now go almost to the floor before the brakes work. All I can think of is that forcing the pistons into the calipers to allow fitting of the new pads has aggrevated a problem with the master cylinder seals? Does this make sense? Any other suggestions?

MC is £230ish OEM. Any uprated options or is it worth looking for motor factors copies? £30 from a breakers but this doesn't seem very sensible for such a critical part...

Any advice would be most welcome as obviously I can no longer use my car