Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre valve help needed urgently!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 06:34 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre valve help needed urgently!

Hi,
I have a trackday coming up on saturday so need urgent help on this one!
Went to check tyre pressures other day and couldn't remove one of my metal dust caps. I reckon some bugger has super glued it cause I've never had a problem before.
Went to tyre fitters today thinking if they snap it while giving it some welly they can just put a new valve on. Anyway......

He says he's never seen a valve like that before. Went through all his catalogues etc and couldn't find anything that would suit. I really need to source one of these valves pronto. They are not tapered at all and appear to be specific for the wheels which are afaik Speedline ST2's.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Ritchie.

Last edited by Ritch96; 22 February 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 22 February 2006, 07:34 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

not much help but I used to have ST2's & they had standard caps.

Have you tried a bit of WD around the cap to see it that helps clean it enough to undo?
Old 22 February 2006, 07:56 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

I have tried grabbing the valve stem which is metal with mole grips and using a ratchet and socket on the hexi dust cap and this won't budge it. This is why I took it to a tyre fitters thinking if they force it and all goes wrong they can fit a new valve. Really can't afford to lose car seen as we were clouted by joyriders on sunday night writing off our other motor! These valves must exist somewhere?
Ritchie.
Old 23 February 2006, 08:48 AM
Gillp95
Scooby Regular

Not 100% sure on that, I have ST2's and they have the standard plastic caps on.
Try looking around the cap, it might be one of them with a little tiny grub screw which secures it to the valve. To stop kids (and adults) pinching them !
Old 23 February 2006, 09:29 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Mate, exactly the same problem. Speedline 2013, metal dust-caps and they seized on. I tried WD40 and that didn't work and I was worried about damaging the valves. In the end I carefully cut the cap off with a small hack saw (fresh blade) and replaced the caps with plastic ones.

The metal efforts can corode on unfortunately if they're left a while. Mine are my trackday rims so get left over the close season.

Last edited by JTaylor; 23 February 2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 23 February 2006, 05:41 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies.
Took car to another tyre fitting place today for a second opinion. Same deal, they said they don't have valves like that, speak to speedline. Got direct line number from Scoobyworld (thanks) for speedline UK distributors. Guy on phone was extremely helpful and knowledgable. (I never realised they were the same wheels as RB5 but without the cutout!) He gave me 100% assurance that they are standard sized valves, nothing fancy. Also said metal stems should NOT be used on road vehicles.
So off I went back to original place which promptly snapped off the valve stem and upon removal of tyre words " I stand corrected " were uttered! So, alls well that ends well etc but a hell of a faff.
Ritchie.
(Bedford on saturday - yippee)