Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4 pot brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2006, 06:21 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 pot brakes?

saw a scooby parked up today was x reg had 17inch p1 alloys on i think but the brakes discs inside them seemed huge filling the whole wheel they were vented and drilled discs but the caliper said subaru on them so were they jst subaru late model 4 pots with large discs or something else? how big can the discs be to go with the 4 pots
thanx
chris
Old 07 February 2006, 07:30 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Would probably have been the standard calipers .... but Godspeed do a big disc kit which uses the standard calipers with a 335mm disc .... this would certainly fill a 17" wheel!!
Old 07 February 2006, 07:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

probably a godspeed disc with an adaptor bracket to move out the calipers.

depending on the wheel size 355mm can be fitted
Old 07 February 2006, 07:32 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
probably a godspeed disc with an adaptor bracket to move out the calipers.

depending on the wheel size 355mm can be fitted
Great minds .... !!
Old 07 February 2006, 11:06 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

cheers i'll give them a shout to see how much was a nice looking bit of kit did wait to see if the owner come bk but was getting some funny looks of people who probably thought i was going to nick it was a tidy looking car though
thanx for help
Old 07 February 2006, 11:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

£625 for the kit :O, are they worth that or is it worth spending the extra and getting ap 6 pot kit?
Old 08 February 2006, 11:08 AM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
£625 for the kit :O, are they worth that or is it worth spending the extra and getting ap 6 pot kit?
If the std. 4 pot calipers are in perfect nick, it probably is worth it .... but more aften than not, they have sticking pistons etc. .... so in that case, AP 6 pots all the way!!

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2006, 12:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the AP (type) calipers in 4 and certainly 6 have much bigger pad area for more friction, greater heat absorption etc than the stock Subaru 4 pot, and that is where the gain is?
Graham
Old 08 February 2006, 02:08 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
But the AP (type) calipers in 4 and certainly 6 have much bigger pad area for more friction, greater heat absorption etc than the stock Subaru 4 pot, and that is where the gain is?
Graham
Very true .... but at a price!
Old 08 February 2006, 02:50 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

the Godspeed 335mm kit to use the standard calipers has much bigger than standard pads supplied in the kit though , they are bigger than the pads that go in the AP 4 pots
Old 10 February 2006, 07:17 PM
P555GAZ
Scooby Regular

i ve just got some calipers off a 04 reg wrx will these fit a 97 wrx with 17
Old 10 February 2006, 11:28 PM
adcar
Scooby Newbie

They will do . Should have subaru written on them . Will fit your wheels with lots of spare room .
Old 11 February 2006, 08:42 AM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

Don't really want to enter a debate on the difference in quality between the Subaru 4 pot caliper and AP versions. AP probably having the advantage, but at a cost... (an AP kit would cost almost 2 times the price of the Godspeed kit)

However, most AP kits have a 28mm thick disc, which compared to the 32mm disc from godspeed is less resistant to heat soak/fade (for the same diameter of disc). And yes the Godspeed kit does include larger pads which make effective use of the lager disc.

A 6pot caliper would have a power advantage, but on road tyres I really doubt that you'll get the benefit. (whey will look fantastic under your wheels , but is there a point?)

I've choosen to fit the 335 Godspeed kit on my car (V6 typeR), and I can say it is a huge improovement over the stock setup, both on road and on track (no fade whatsover anymore).

For the price (if you already have the subaru 4pots) it is an excellent kit.
If not or your calipers already need a rebuild I would consider an AP/Brembo kit. You pay your money, you make your choise...
Old 11 February 2006, 02:37 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

surely you wouldnt change the calipers cos they need a rebuild? it must be more cost effective to put new seals and pistons in rather than spend lots of dosh on new AP calipers? just a guess as i havn't done it myself - how much would a caliper repair kit cost???
Old 11 February 2006, 08:24 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

I would totally agree that as long as the standard 4 pots are in perfect working order, then go with the big disc kit!

However, the 4 pots are notoriously bad for seizing .... especially when they get to 5 years+ old (i.e. most classics) .... usually the inside pairs of pistons on each. Ive been told (so stand to be corrected here) that they are quite difficult/expensive to repair/service!

BTW only the full AP 330mm kits use the 28mm discs .... the Godspeed kits (335 and 355mm) use the 32mm discs!
Old 13 February 2006, 04:30 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RB5 69
I would totally agree that as long as the standard 4 pots are in perfect working order, then go with the big disc kit!

However, the 4 pots are notoriously bad for seizing .... especially when they get to 5 years+ old (i.e. most classics) .... usually the inside pairs of pistons on each. Ive been told (so stand to be corrected here) that they are quite difficult/expensive to repair/service!

BTW only the full AP 330mm kits use the 28mm discs .... the Godspeed kits (335 and 355mm) use the 32mm discs!
They are not expensive to refurbish, seal kit for the front works out at about £32.00 for both, and if pistons are required they are about £20.00 each.
The problem seems to be with the inside pistons, you get slight rusting behind the outer seal, just remove clean up pistons new seals and away you go.
The time is spent making sure everything is meticulously clean when you assemble them back together.
Old 13 February 2006, 05:42 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

well the kit from godspeed sems good value but i'm coming from rubbish 2pot wrx brakes so it would mean up grading to 4pots first before i get the bigger brake kit (got that right ain't i) so adding another 2 or 300 quid on i'm probably well on the way to a set of ap's aren't i so maybe be worth holding out of the best? guess its all down to what can afford at the end of the day as aways
chris
Old 19 February 2006, 04:15 PM
bbdotcom
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pugsleygti
saw a scooby parked up today was x reg had 17inch p1 alloys on i think but the brakes discs inside them seemed huge filling the whole wheel they were vented and drilled discs but the caliper said subaru on them so were they jst subaru late model 4 pots with large discs or something else? how big can the discs be to go with the 4 pots
thanx
chris
hi i have just bought a fantastic brake kit from compbrake 330mm x32mm powervane racing rotors and there prorace one circuit series calipers Allfitted great fine engineering we have just done the nureburg ring and they are excellent deemon tweeks sells them for £1100 but if you call them direct you can get them for £650 have a look on there website www.compbrake.co.uk cheers BB
Old 19 February 2006, 06:11 PM
muly
Scooby Regular

just had a look on there site and they have some very good prices and good bits of kit
Old 20 February 2006, 06:48 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Read their "Terms and conditions". Essentially, if you're not happy, or if the parts have manufacturing faults, break within two minutes etc etc you have no come-back and no warranty.

seems like a bit of a backstreet alley shop, in my opinion (of course, none of the t&c's would stand in court, but still...)

Edit: After searching on google, there appears to only be happy customers, but I'd still be a bit scared because of the T&C's

Last edited by Henrik; 20 February 2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 20 February 2006, 06:02 PM
Scooby Regular

God, what a load of mumbo jumbo written on their site! Bring back clear english.

I think it common place for equipment sold to 'racing' carries no warrantee, tyres are a prime example as are clutches.

Hang on till you can by the road spec AP units, but I havn't read their T&C yet!

Graham
Old 08 March 2006, 12:21 AM
bbdotcom
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Henrik
Read their "Terms and conditions". Essentially, if you're not happy, or if the parts have manufacturing faults, break within two minutes etc etc you have no come-back and no warranty.

seems like a bit of a backstreet alley shop, in my opinion (of course, none of the t&c's would stand in court, but still...)

Edit: After searching on google, there appears to only be happy customers, but I'd still be a bit scared because of the T&C's
I have bought my 17inch kit from compbrake direct from ther factory in Blackburn they guarentee there products against faulty workmanship for 12 months if you send the calipers back before the warrenty runs out for full servicing at £25 each including all parts they give you another 12months ap and others dont do that there terms and conditions are the same as pro drive and Ap racing they are racing components designed for high performane use they are not a back street ally shop they have all the latest equipment and have been precition aircraft engineers since 1984 and ther products are made to british standard iso 2001 so check them out your self you are misleading subaru owners on this forum which is designed to help us all! we all want the best for our cars regards BB
Old 08 March 2006, 12:41 AM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Looked into these, don't think they have dust seals....

Hakon
Old 08 March 2006, 01:17 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bbdotcom
I have bought my 17inch kit from compbrake direct from ther factory in Blackburn they guarentee there products against faulty workmanship for 12 months if you send the calipers back before the warrenty runs out for full servicing at £25 each including all parts they give you another 12months ap and others dont do that there terms and conditions are the same as pro drive and Ap racing they are racing components designed for high performane use they are not a back street ally shop they have all the latest equipment and have been precition aircraft engineers since 1984 and ther products are made to british standard iso 2001 so check them out your self you are misleading subaru owners on this forum which is designed to help us all! we all want the best for our cars regards BB
Can you confirm your connection with this company - 6 posts all talking about the same company. Sounds suspicious at best...
Old 08 March 2006, 12:47 PM
Timson
Scooby Newbie

If you need replacement 4 pots for the old 2 pot calipers - on a budget, then Godspeed has a good solution.

For £795 you get a pair of large 4 pots made by Lucas Girling, from a Jag (XJR / XKR) with matching pads...which not only fit the big Jags but are same fitment for Aston Martin DB7's, and a pair of 335mm discs mounted on alloy bells.

The good thing about these calipers is that they are made for road use and are fully dirt and dust sealed unlike some of the expensive alloy racing calipers.

I just recently had a seizing problem - but it wasn't the pistons - it was the pads in the caliper body...which a bit of time on a linesher solved completely.

Unfortunately the calipers are very heavy as they're cast steel!
I use mine - road only and cannot say that I have noticed a detriment in handling due to extra unsprung weight.
If this really matters to you ...save up and get the AP's.

The calipers are huge and only just fitted behind my 18" wheels so be careful before going for the 335mm / 355mm kit.
If you go for the 325mm discs you get smaller calipers too.

Here's a shot of mine....

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...IMG_0011.1.JPG[/IMG]

Performance is excellent....Not quite as Blingy as the alloy counterparts - but still good looking and very functional.

Check out the clearance between the caliper and wheel...Thank god I didnt get the 355mm discs.

Tim.
Old 08 March 2006, 03:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bbdotcom
Have you done your entire life savings on Compbrake penny shares? Blatant talking up by somebody with a vested interest or you're trying to convince yourself you've made the right choice.
Old 08 March 2006, 03:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

These areas are designed for peer to peer, objective reviews. The irony is that people will now be more wary of this product .

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/search.php?searchid=764855

C + P
Old 08 March 2006, 08:00 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've bought a set of 4 pots and 330mm discs from CompBrake, phoned the company direct after seeing them on e-bay. I haven't fitted them yet, but quality seems superb. One factor in my choosing them was that they are around £500 cheaper than AP stufff, which I know is good, but you are bound to pay over the odds for their big name. The service I received was superb and they stripped and reanodised a set of bells for me.

As far as the "vested interest" thing goes - couldn't people who have bought more expensive kit be just as bad in having a downer on CompBrake because they are concerned they've wasted money on other stuff? I think so, also there's a snobbery element - "Ah yes, but they haven't got AP written on them..." I'll have to see what they're like, but their blurb says lack of dust seals is not an issue (It would, but how many people on here are metallurgists?

I remember reading a post recently which said the CB calipers are identical to Wilwoods and someone confirmed they'd run these for ages with no dust seals and no probs.

You pays your (large amount of) money and takes your choice, but I do think there's a hint of elitism here.

I AM IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH COMPBRAKE, SAVE FOR HAVING BOUGHT A SET OF THEIR BRAKES
Old 08 March 2006, 08:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Hope they're good. I'm in the market for some new brakes and couldn't give a **** what name they've got stamped on them.

If they're good quality, good value and offer a substantial improvement over the Subaru 4-pots i'll take a set. Let us know how you get on.
Old 08 March 2006, 08:44 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Hope they're good. I'm in the market for some new brakes and couldn't give a **** what name they've got stamped on them.

If they're good quality, good value and offer a substantial improvement over the Subaru 4-pots i'll take a set. Let us know how you get on.
Will do mate, It's nice to hear some sense. I'm an honest person and I'll give you my opinion, the rest is up to you.

PS - It's nice to see a well spelt post for once - my wife is an English lecturer and the spelling on many Scoobynet posts drives her nuts!!

Getting them fitted on 18th, along with some 18s.

Quick Reply: 4 pot brakes?