minimum brake pad thickness, please help

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 12:17 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question minimum brake pad thickness, please help

Hi

What is the minimum thickness for a set of standard subaru rear brake pads on a 00 UK impreza turbo (classic shape) before they need replacing? Also, what is the thickness of brand new ones?

I recently had new tyres fitted at a well know, reputable tyre outfit. They told me that the rear pads need replacing and tried to get me to allow them to do it. I refused and when I checked them myself it appears they have minimal wear.

I have measured them with a digital micrometer but I need to know the official recommended minimum thickness so I can quote exact figures rather than opinions. I will be taking this further once I have the info.

Cheers in advance
Old 15 January 2006, 01:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Around 2mm of material is minimum (not including backing plate). Remember to check both sides of each caliper on each wheel, as they can wear at different rates.

IIRC there is a metal tag on the rear that should contact at 1.5mm (which I think is Subrau's specified absolute minimum) and make a screeching sound, but these often get bent so cannot be relied on. But it's not clever going to bare minimum as pad material has a tendancy to flake off the backing plate when worn very thin and you risk damaging the brake discs. So you can't really go around quoting "official figures" IMO.

Generally speaking, from a mechanical point of view. you should ensure there is enough brake material left to ensure it will run upto its next main service without them wearing to the metal and damaging the rotor - this would be dependent on the driver's annual mileage and driving style.

So anything up to 5mm minimum front and 2mm rear is acceptable limits to replace pads.
Old 15 January 2006, 02:21 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

I had this with Kwikfit a few years back on a Toyota, the misses took the car in to get some wheels/tyres swapped about and they said the front discs were shot and they wouldn't touch the car unless they could replace the discs as they were dangerous. I called the manager and he swore blind that they were below their minimum thickness which turned out to be 5mm more than Toyotas recommendation!!!
Old 15 January 2006, 02:51 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Around 2mm of material is minimum (not including backing plate). Remember to check both sides of each caliper on each wheel, as they can wear at different rates.

IIRC there is a metal tag on the rear that should contact at 1.5mm (which I think is Subrau's specified absolute minimum) and make a screeching sound, but these often get bent so cannot be relied on. But it's not clever going to bare minimum as pad material has a tendancy to flake off the backing plate when worn very thin and you risk damaging the brake discs. So you can't really go around quoting "official figures" IMO.

Generally speaking, from a mechanical point of view. you should ensure there is enough brake material left to ensure it will run upto its next main service without them wearing to the metal and damaging the rotor - this would be dependent on the driver's annual mileage and driving style.

So anything up to 5mm minimum front and 2mm rear is acceptable limits to replace pads.

Cheers for the info

The pad with the minimum thickness measured 6.9mm (NOT including backing plate, just the actual pad). Says it all really. I will be putting in a written complaint.

Cheers
Old 15 January 2006, 03:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

6.9mm is loads. I think the rears are about 10mm new!!!