Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replacement Pads Question

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 11:51 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Pads Question

Probably been asked a fair few times but I need an answer quickly to this so I can order some by Thursday.

Front pads on my MY02 STi are beginning to crack and need replacing. I am looking for an effective pad, ie where stopping performance is quick and effective, and they don't need warming up to get to their optimum performance parameters.

Just looked at EBC as they are sponsors on here. What should I be looking at, from which manufacurer, and what price?

OEM Scooby pads are hugely expensive so looking for something more cost effective but NOT cheap, for the sake of it. This car is quick and I need decent pads so if I have to pay a premium for them, then fine.

Cheers

WB

BTW I hate squealing pads and I don't track the car, so no need for competition pads.
Old 21 December 2005, 12:32 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagid RS 4-2-1's or Ferodo DS2500 would be choice.

Speak to Alyn and he'll sort you out with what you need

http://www.asperformance.com/

http://www.asptrading.co.uk/acatalog/BRAKES.html
Old 21 December 2005, 08:17 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

wb

please see my thread here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=477024

I opted for EBC Red Stuff Cermaic but there were rubbish, I paid £150 and tok them off after 150 miles or so and replaced with standard Brembo pads (I have an MY04 STI)

They were fitted by dealer and the squeaking was awful, in the morning it was like having no brakes at all, now the Brembo's are on I have no problems whatsoever.

Worth that bit extra in my opinion as I don't do track days etc

I'm now stuck with front and rear EBC Red Stuff Ceramic pads, think I'll put them on fleabay

Cheers

Hanley

Old 21 December 2005, 01:56 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

As Buck stated the pads weren't yet bedded in so you can hardly call them rubbish due to the noise.

I run EBC yellows in my STi (have since July) and they're fine, good bite from cold, no noise and excellent performance when hot.

I can't comment on the Pagids as I haven't used them but I have run DS2500 in a 4-pot AP kit and was very impressed, good initial bite and good track performace. Seemed to last well too.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

they don't need warming up to get to their optimum performance parameters.
TBH I think your struggling to satisfy that goal with most FR pads.

All say will "good bite from cold" in their advertising junk. But generally, they never are that brilliant cold. Which is annoying if you've been driving for 10mins at 40mph without using the brakes and ecounter stone cold pads next time you need to stop, or don't always use the brakes hard enough to get them up to temp
Old 21 December 2005, 03:25 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
As Buck stated the pads weren't yet bedded in so you can hardly call them rubbish due to the noise.

I run EBC yellows in my STi (have since July) and they're fine, good bite from cold, no noise and excellent performance when hot.

I can't comment on the Pagids as I haven't used them but I have run DS2500 in a 4-pot AP kit and was very impressed, good initial bite and good track performace. Seemed to last well too.
I ran them in for about 100 - 150 miles and in my opinion they were a pile of ****.

First mile driving with the Brembo pads they feel 200% better.

As for in the cold, i may as well have taken my pads off, would have stopped me quicker!!

EBC - steer clear

Only my humble opinion

Old 21 December 2005, 04:44 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Same here! Absolute cr$p from cold (and yes the red stuff pads were passed the bedding in period), wore out in 5000miles, noisey and also, in my opinion, no better than oem. To top the lot, my ebc discs had warped in 5000miles aswell, causing monumental amounts of brake judder.
Changed to a good standard copy of oem discs and pads, (lucas I think, available from Grahem Goode for £100!) what a difference! Initial bite so much better, and have yet to experience fade!
Old 21 December 2005, 05:13 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive just fitted Tarox G88 discs and 114 fast road/trackday pads and so far am very very impressed with them, much more bite over standard brembo's very good from cold and just get better the hotter they get.

I cant speak for other stuff, only what i have experienced and these get a massive thumbs up from me.

Old 21 December 2005, 07:30 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
To top the lot, my ebc discs had warped in 5000miles aswell, causing monumental amounts of brake judder.
My EBC redstuff had only been on for a week and had already started putting grooves in my standard discs
Old 21 December 2005, 08:48 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I too am running EBC Yellowstuff "R" compound having previously used DS2500s and RS4-2-1s. The yellowstuff may take a little more pressure to bite when cold - but they are great otherwise and I dont get any of the pad deposits I got with the DS2500s ( which with one set I got through them from new on one afternoon trackday - and the deposits they left caused massive judder )
Just make sure the Yellowstuff get bedded in well.
Old 22 December 2005, 12:45 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for your contributions, much appreciated.

I will be on the phone to Alyn in the morning re the Pagids.

Cheers

WB
Old 22 December 2005, 01:39 AM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

I liked Pagid 421s on my classic with Brembos. They also lasted quite well too, but then they cost a bit. They're also blue. Which is okay because you can't see it from outside ...but you'll know it's there...
I'm running Prodrives on stock brakes on a WRX and they don't feel much different from standard pads, except they cost more, smell more and squeal more when pulling up.

Last edited by Jerry B; 22 December 2005 at 01:41 AM.
Old 22 December 2005, 08:06 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Jerry, if they were "blue" then this is the slightly more track orientated rs4.2 from Pagid..................

rs4.2.1's are "black" and more road biased.....................

alyn
Old 22 December 2005, 08:42 AM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted some Ferodo DS2500's from AS Performace on the front. (MY02 WRX)
So easy to fit!!!!!!! Why people take them to the dealer I'll never know. If you can wire a plug you can fit the pads with your eyes closed.

Some people have said that the DS2500's can be unpredictable when cold.......... so far I have not had any problems.

One more thing..............

Can anyone tell me if the spring clip that fits between the pad location pins is missing. Will it be dangerous? The Subaru dealer in Beeston, Notts had never heard of such a part!!!!! And could not track down a part number for one either. Any help would go along way.
Old 22 December 2005, 11:52 AM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
Jerry, if they were "blue" then this is the slightly more track orientated rs4.2 from Pagid..................

rs4.2.1's are "black" and more road biased.....................

alyn
I think I replaced the blues with the blacks....it was a while back!