Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

BRAKES : please help before i give up!

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 12:59 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKES : please help before i give up!

having just fit a newradiator to my impreza i went for a short road test, now the car is of the road but is moved daily, things were fine then after about 4 miles thre brakes started sticking on, they gradually got worse until it was barely driveable! i managed to get home, it has recantly had pads all round so i know they are ok, free sliders etc etc, even thoug there cooked now!!!! i thought they were sticking last time i went out aswell, though not as bad! i have had the calipers off the car to paint them, but they bled up fine, when you undone the caliper, you can push the piston back ok with grips, so you would say the calipers are ok! help someone please!!!! i am about to get shut!
Old 11 December 2005, 04:25 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

anybody??
Old 11 December 2005, 04:48 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

If you jack it up do all of the wheels turn freely when the brakes are cold?

If not then do three turn OK and one sticky? Or are both fronts or rears or all four sticky?

If they're OK cold then when they're hot is it just one, a pair or all four that are overheating? You should be able to tell without jacking it up, the discs will be really hot, smoking a bit, blue colour, glowing red (!) depending on how bad they are.

One likely to be sticky caliper piston, too thick pads or similar. Fronts or rears likely to be master cylinder problem, handbrake too tight (or you left it on....) or similar. All four..... errr, major master cylinder fault, pedal pivot seized..... clutching at straws now.

Reading your original mail again, when you say you can push pistons back with grips then I trust you don't mean you've used pliers or mole grips to hold the bit of piston sticking out? If so then a risk you've damaged the surface of the piston which needs to be dead smooth as it fits in a very tight bore in the caliper. Any damage could lead to it sticking in the caliper bore or the seals. You should only push pistons back by using a lever to push against the end of the piston or against the outside of the pad not the outer diameter of the piston. Apologies if you haven't done this, not implying your mechanically inept but that's what it reads like....

Last edited by Chelspeed; 11 December 2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11 December 2005, 05:23 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
If you jack it up do all of the wheels turn freely when the brakes are cold?

If not then do three turn OK and one sticky? Or are both fronts or rears or all four sticky?

If they're OK cold then when they're hot is it just one, a pair or all four that are overheating? You should be able to tell without jacking it up, the discs will be really hot, smoking a bit, blue colour, glowing red (!) depending on how bad they are.

One likely to be sticky caliper piston, too thick pads or similar. Fronts or rears likely to be master cylinder problem, handbrake too tight (or you left it on....) or similar. All four..... errr, major master cylinder fault, pedal pivot seized..... clutching at straws now.

Reading your original mail again, when you say you can push pistons back with grips then I trust you don't mean you've used pliers or mole grips to hold the bit of piston sticking out? If so then a risk you've damaged the surface of the piston which needs to be dead smooth as it fits in a very tight bore in the caliper. Any damage could lead to it sticking in the caliper bore or the seals. You should only push pistons back by using a lever to push against the end of the piston or against the outside of the pad not the outer diameter of the piston. Apologies if you haven't done this, not implying your mechanically inept but that's what it reads like....
no i used proper water pump grips! big ones to push on the end! they have only done it since i have had the calipers off, could the flexi hoses be knackered where they were clamped? not allowing the fluid to return? its a nightmare!!!!!! the front 2 were smoking lots!! only did about 4 miles. handbrake definately wasnt on bud! cheers!!!
Old 11 December 2005, 05:27 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

to thick pads....... is this possible? its only since the new pads were fit!? they are identical and when the pistons are all the way back the caliper shuts no problems at all.
Old 11 December 2005, 09:38 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

from your PM i believe you have 2pot calipers, so although the pistons are free, it could be a seized "slider"..............

alyn
Old 12 December 2005, 07:37 AM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

it isnt a slider either mate, its as if the fluid doesnt return.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:19 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

there maybe a bit of debris in the system that could be blocking the pipe , seen this before , you can usually see if its this by pressing hard on the brake a few times , with the brake pedal off , open a bleed nipple and see if the fluid shoots out , if it does then its still under pressure
Old 15 December 2005, 09:10 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had the calipers off to paint them?

Did you refit them with the bleed nipples at the top? (I know too many people that have got this wrong)
Old 17 December 2005, 05:00 PM
birtywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dyney
You've had the calipers off to paint them?

Did you refit them with the bleed nipples at the top? (I know too many people that have got this wrong)
i cant see how this is possible?!?! as the slider is at the top, and bolt at the bottom? got new seal kits big thanks to ALYN at A.S.Performance!
got some black diamond braded hoses coming off flleebay, take 2 i think! cheers dudes!!