Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STI 9 BREMBOS ON A CLASSIC,HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2005, 06:51 PM
WINSLEYWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 9 BREMBOS ON A CLASSIC,HELP!

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT STI 9 BREMBO CALIPERS AND DISC'S ON MY CLASSIC,I CAN'T SAY I HAVE EVER SEEN A CLASSIC WITH THESE ON,OBVIOUSLY I HAVE SEEN BIG BRAKE UPGRADES ON CLASSIC'S BUT NOT THE STI 9'S,I HAVE GOT 17 INCH '02'WRX ALLOYS, BUT WOULD THE CALIPERS' FIT OR IS THERE ANY OTHER POTENTIAL PROBLEMS .ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.CHEERS DALE.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:14 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% sure the wheels WON'T fit, the brakes should though, so long as the pcd of the studs is right, the newer cars have different stud spacing.....
Old 24 November 2005, 07:19 PM
WINSLEYWRX
Scooby Regular

THEY WOULD'NT FIT IN THE DIAMETER OF THE WHEEL OR THE CALIPERS ARE TO WIDE? CHEERS FOR THE ADVICE MATE......
Old 24 November 2005, 07:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sti has 17's as standard anyway, it's the physical size of the caliper that causes the problems.... it would hit the inside of the spokes.....
Old 24 November 2005, 08:07 PM
WINSLEYWRX
Scooby Regular

OK THANKS MATE.
Old 24 November 2005, 08:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

disks wont fit from that car as im sure they changed the pcd pattern
Old 24 November 2005, 10:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I had 01 WRX wheels on my MY94 Wagon, and they fitted with no issue at all, so the wheels themselves will be ok.

As for the calipers clearing the wheels, I seriously doubt that they will. I've seen the clearance of the calipers on the first STi's to have them fitted and it was pretty close, and I don't think it is much different on the later cars either, plus they did change the PCD on the wheels as well.

I had a movit brake kit on the car, essentially rather large brembo calipers, possibly a little bigger than the ones on the STi, not totally sure though, and to make them fit the 01 wheels I needed to have 15mm spacers (or find a wheel which would allow clearance, and I'd only had the wheels a few weeks, so changing them was not really an option). Some said not to use spacers, but I never had a problem.

Fitting brackets might also be needed, I'm not sure if the fitting location is different between STi's and WRX's
Old 25 November 2005, 08:30 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

all bolt-on if you use <05 STi model year parts...............however, you will need the matching STi wheels or a suitable aftermarket item, as the WRX wheels do not clear

alyn
Old 25 November 2005, 09:33 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've fitted them on my MY94, as Alyn mentions up to 05STI is plug & play for the calipers & discs, but you'd be best getting some <05 STI rims to use, as your WRX rims won't clear the calipers.
On the rear if you are running std shocks, then you'll also need a small spacer of 3 or 5mm to avoid the inner tyre wall rubbing on the strut. The std 225 width STI tyres withe the spacer will then rub on the outer arch when carrying passengers in the back or under heavy cornering. The ideal is to move to 215's.
The only bits of use from a >05 STI will be the calipers, pads & bolts. The rims & discs have a different stud spacing.
(Do braided hoses while you're at it.)

D
Old 29 November 2005, 04:39 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
I've fitted them on my MY94, as Alyn mentions up to 05STI is plug & play for the calipers & discs, but you'd be best getting some <05 STI rims to use, as your WRX rims won't clear the calipers.
On the rear if you are running std shocks, then you'll also need a small spacer of 3 or 5mm to avoid the inner tyre wall rubbing on the strut. The std 225 width STI tyres withe the spacer will then rub on the outer arch when carrying passengers in the back or under heavy cornering. The ideal is to move to 215's.
The only bits of use from a >05 STI will be the calipers, pads & bolts. The rims & discs have a different stud spacing.
(Do braided hoses while you're at it.)

D
What's the performance like on these - i'll be fitting a set to my MY99 in the summer.
Old 29 November 2005, 07:19 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I finally got mine on today. One or two delays that I didn't expect....

Needed spacers to use my current 17" wheels. With that I needed longer studs.
I already knew that I needed the different thread mounting bolts (weren't supplied with the callipers).

I've opted for DBA 4000 discs and will bed them in over the next day or two. They will no doubt perform bettter than the Subaru 4-pots I had on there. It will be interesting to see just how much better they are in comparison to those and other brands.