Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Weird noise and dodgy looking pads

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2005, 07:02 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird noise and dodgy looking pads

This has happened a few times now, seems to happen when the brakes get a bit hot.

What happens is at low speed when I apply the brakes there is a crunching/clicking kind of noise, sounds a bit like something is caught and getting clipped by the wheel or something in that area each time it revolves (hard to explain), only happens when you lightly apply the brakes

Also getting a rattle, light metallic like something is loose, only heard when going over sharp bumps, seems to come from both sides.

Took the front wheels off to check everything today and can't find anything that looks out of place, everything seems ok, can't find anything that looks like it might cause that kind of noise but I'm not sure the pads are too good, they're EBC redstuff ceramics and the car is a 93 WRX, twin pot calipers;

Anybody any idea if this is normal?

Anybody any idea what could be causing the noise?

Please help, this is driving me
Old 12 November 2005, 09:06 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

from the pics (difficult in part) then i would say that you are reguarly exceeding the temp. ability of the pads.............................

as for the noise do you have grooved or drilled discs??

could also be the pad wear "squeel clip" that is designed to contact part of the disc and make a noise when the pads are low??

alyn
Old 12 November 2005, 10:31 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Those pads don't look too clever IMO, but I don't think that is your problem..

Do you have a pad anti rattle clip on those brakes, and if so is it fitted correctly pressing against the pads?

1.The clicking whilst driving will be the disc lifting and then dropping the pad a few mm with each revolution of the wheel.
2.The crunching is them seating when you press the brake (noticable when reversing braking then going forward & braking)
3.The constant rattling could be the loose clip not firmly sprung against the pads to hold them in place.

Not familiar with how the 2 pot set up looks, but it's worth checking.

Daz

Last edited by dazc; 12 November 2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 13 November 2005, 02:48 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies

Alyn, I thought the redstuffs were meant to able to take a lot of heat, perhaps I will have to brake a little less enthusiastically from now on
Should have taken some pictures of the discs really as they don't look fantastic either, in answer to your question yes they are grooved but not drilled. Near side is pretty smooth and a kind of bluey grey colour but there are quite a lot of what look like hairline cracks on the disc, about halfway up rising up from the centre towards the outside of the discs, approx 2-3cm's long. The off side disc isn't smooth, seems to be scored on both sides so I'm wondering if the caliper may be partially seized although oddly it only has one or two of the cracks like the ones on the other disc and is only bluey/grey on 3/4 of the disc, the inner section is more silver. Thought about the squeal clip as well but there is plenty of meat left on the pads so I can't see the squeal clip having any effect.

Daz, there are anti rattle spring clips and they are firmly seated against the caliper, you have to push one end of the pad down onto the clip to be able to get it to locate at the other end, haven't tried reversing braking then going forward & braking though so can't answer that one.

I'd been thinking for a while about upgrading the brakes as I had the car on a track day in October and could only do a handful of laps each time as I had to then come in as I was losing the brakes, was hoping to go for a big disc conversion. Have found a set of 4 pot calipers with discs and pads for a reasonable price but I'm not sure I really want to be using secondhand discs and pads but I have another trackday coming up on the 25th Nov so if I were to go for bigger discs and new pads would it be possible to bed them in before then?

Also if I did decide to go for the secondhand discs and pads to save the bedding in worry, would they fit straight on as mine seems to have very small front discs and I have a feeling the newer cars which have the 4 pots had bigger discs?