What's a flag?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 07:01 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's a flag?

Hi there.

Recently had an issue with my MY03 STI where the steering wheel was off centre. Got the tracking checked and steering column looked at, but it turned out that the problem was caused by a flag on the back driver side being out of alignment.

They re-aligned the flag and the steering wheel returned back to the centre. Though a few weeks later it seems that the flag has gone off a bit again, will have to get it checked.

My question is what is this flag part? Never heard of it before. Anyone got any links to where I can find out more about this? Also, if I'm constantly getting problems with it, is it something that needs to be replaced?

Many thanks
Jas.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:46 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrClyfar
Hi there.

Recently had an issue with my MY03 STI where the steering wheel was off centre. Got the tracking checked and steering column looked at, but it turned out that the problem was caused by a flag on the back driver side being out of alignment.

They re-aligned the flag and the steering wheel returned back to the centre. Though a few weeks later it seems that the flag has gone off a bit again, will have to get it checked.

My question is what is this flag part? Never heard of it before. Anyone got any links to where I can find out more about this? Also, if I'm constantly getting problems with it, is it something that needs to be replaced?

Many thanks
Jas.
BTTT - I'm keen to know the answer to this as my bug-eye WRX is ever so slightly outta line (steering wheel) and i guess this may be the same issue....
Old 28 October 2005, 04:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot think what they meant.
You sure you heard them correctly?
Graham
Old 28 October 2005, 09:46 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

more likely to mean the "flag" (as in marker) they use to check your 4 wheel alignment as opposed to anything on your car, never heard that description though
Old 28 October 2005, 10:22 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

The tyre place near me mentioned "adjusting the back flags" when they were checking my tracking and I said the steering wheel was not straight.
I didn't know what they were on about either
Old 29 October 2005, 07:00 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK: Could this be the discs on the rear lower arms that are marked to index the rear toe? iirc they are on the rearmost bolts that pass through the subframe by the diff for the arms.
Graham