Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

weird noise comming from wheel

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2005, 02:12 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise comming from wheel

I have a strange noise comming from my front drivers side wheel, it sounds like there is a large object stuck in it.. Like a big flappy piece of plastic that makes a noise as it rotates and make's contact with something, But i have just jacked up the car and checked the wheel and there are no signs of stones or debris on the tyre ?

when moving slowly in neutral or in gear, i can hear it, but it get's louder when i turn to the right slightly or touch the brakes very gently

Does any one have any idea what could be causing this ? The pads look like that have atleast 4 - 5mm of material on them. (original subaru pads)

I am going to swap the front and rear tyre over tonight, just to see if the is something wrong with the tyre.. (toyo t1)

My car is a 03 Wrx

Last edited by Monkeh; 19 September 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 19 September 2005, 04:53 PM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds silly but I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I had a clunking/ticking noise dependant on how fast you were going but generally under 10mph there was this annoying noise.

After a dealer in watford wanting to charge me £300 to strip my brakes down I got the problem remedied by a tyre centre who took the tyre off and found a stone in it.

Take the wheel of and give it a bounce. If there is something in it, you will hear it when you bounce it. If there is no noise, then you are looking at something mechanical am afraid!