Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Fade?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2005, 08:03 AM
DJ_MOD_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fade?

Ive just recently upgraded the brakes on my 93wrx import as the old ones were well and truly shot. I swapped them for black diamond combi vented discs wih ebc red stuff pads. Now before they died my old brakes were ok not stunning but adequate (just) but since i have fitted these brakes there has been a really bad level of fade worryingly bad in fact (i have overshot some junctions so far due to the pedal going to nothing). Fluid is fine as it was changed at service at scoobymania last month. They are ok for a few miles (20 or so) then they just seem to fade to nothing went up ilkley moor for a blast last night with the other half and the fade to say the least was scary almost having little or no brakes coming back down the hill? Is it due to the fact i have twin pot brakes or am i asking too much of them and expecting them to be flawless? I went for ebc and black diamond as this is the combination i have had on all my tuned cars and found them to be fine?
Old 08 September 2005, 08:08 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if your losing the pedal then its more down to fluid than anything else, and once it has overheated then it gets easier and easier to get to this state!!!

if everything else was/is fine then i would suspect possibly a sticking caliper causing the system to develop excess heat?? or the system has air in it!

either way you need it flushed thro' with fresh fluid to restore to normal
Old 08 September 2005, 08:16 AM
DJ_MOD_WRX
Scooby Regular

its not so much as losing pedal (i.e it dropping to floor) but a case of pedal goes down resistance is felt **** all happens
Old 08 September 2005, 04:06 PM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

Got to be something seriously wrong here - don't drive it!!. I'd start by bleeding the brakes again (did you bleed them after replacing discs/pads?). There is always a chance air got into the fluid during the work. Also crawl around on a dry day and check all calipers and hoses for leaks? Get some professional help if you can't find the fault - cheaper than ending up in a ditch or worse
Old 08 September 2005, 05:27 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

hmm first check fluid , calipres and master cylinder , if these are fine , then inspect the pads arnt glaced (they should nt be) after this id be back to were ever fitted them and have them worry about it whilst they explain why they didnt road test the set up before you paid .
personally on a heavy - ish car like an impreza i would nt recommend EBC greenstuff pads , perhaps red stuff , but ideally id say go for Mintex 1144 pads mates
Old 08 September 2005, 10:30 PM
DJ_MOD_WRX
Scooby Regular

ill get garage on the case try not to get my hands dirty anymore have checked most of it though seems to be no leaks it just feels like really bad fade