Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ap vs brembo

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 10:59 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ap vs brembo

would i see any difference between 4 pot 330mm brembos and 6 pot ap 330mm brakes ie is it worth ~£1500 to change?
martin
Old 02 September 2005, 11:04 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Well, they look different, so you would 'see' a difference
Old 03 September 2005, 12:16 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 03 September 2005, 02:38 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Check out http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...1219&highlight
for my somewhat dated opinion.
I never tried Brembos, but i will say that good brakes are only as good as your left foot and ******** size!!!!!!

S.
Old 03 September 2005, 09:41 AM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Location: somewhere having fun after mapped by jollygreenmonster
Wink

look different cost more but the difference is unbeleavable i have a classic went from 2 pots. to 4pot brembos thought they were the muts nuts then went to ap and it was like going from 2 pots to brembos. even when bedding them in they were better than the brembos there just awesome would recomend to anyone wouldn't go back.you've basically got half the braking power again as the brembos try it you'll like it. the way i saw it was the ap's are well known and you'll get £1000 for them all day long second hand. if you decide to do it i've got a m8 that might buy your brembo set up off you.
Originally Posted by p1doc
would i see any difference between 4 pot 330mm brembos and 6 pot ap 330mm brakes ie is it worth ~£1500 to change?
martin
Old 03 September 2005, 09:45 AM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Theres no contest what so ever between Ap 6-pots and Brembo`s its the best upgrade for a subaru you can buy I.M.H.O

R.B
Old 03 September 2005, 09:54 AM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

If you're comparing the Subaru supplied Sti Brembo's with AP's then there is a difference. The Sti Brembo's use a solid disc bell arrangement whilst the AP's will have a floating disc.

It's also worth noting that Brembo own AP!

The Subaru brembo discs are circa £400 each to replace. My 352mm AP discs are circa £170 each. Though Godspeed can make cheaper replacements for either.

6 Pots will give you more feel than 4 pots.

You can get the 352mm x 32mm 6 Pot AP kit for less than £1500 from BG Devlopments (http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk). Though you need 18" rims to clear these.

Regards,

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2005, 10:34 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i was tempted by 352 brakes but then i would have to get 18" wheels which i dont really want as i like the ride on my 17's
martin
Old 03 September 2005, 10:41 AM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Default :D

Just like to add:

I went from 2pot on my WR Sport to 4Pot Brembos that were purchased via the group buy.

The difference was Awesome....simply for FAST ROAD use i cant fault them. 325mm vented disks. IF you r goin to use car 4 track day then the AP's are the ones.....I cant justify for fast road use and asthetics an extra £1K - £1.5K.

I also heard many varied opinions that 18" alloys affect the ride and grip of car.

TBH my replica 18" PFF7 shod with toyo proxies T1-R all round , together with the BREMBO package is simply breath taking. Although on certain roads u get just a tad more road noise....

.....easily compensated by full H&S Decat with a scoobyworld NINJA backbox.

ALL Depends on what you wanna use car for and more to the point....HOW DEEP UR POCKETS ARE

Just my tuppence.......

Aceman
Old 03 September 2005, 01:29 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

mainly fast road nairn to dundee just over 2 hours and occasional nurburgring trip,just deciding worth splashing out on ap brakes or get tsl chargecooler mmm
martin
Old 03 September 2005, 01:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stef
Check out http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...1219&highlight
for my somewhat dated opinion.
I never tried Brembos, but i will say that good brakes are only as good as your left foot and ******** size!!!!!!

S.
Are you inferring; that there is a direct correlation between how late you break and the size of your bollocks, not your rotors.....?
Old 03 September 2005, 03:49 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by GC8
Are you inferring; that there is a direct correlation between how late you break and the size of your bollocks, not your rotors.....?
i would agree,especially following a trip in a friend's evo 4 lapping the ring in 8.40 with standard brakes!
Old 04 September 2005, 01:50 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Are you kidding me?????
My AP's gave me at least an equivalent extra 50bhp when on a track based on how much ground I made up/created under braking. Ask anyone who ever followed me on track!
You could have the biggest rotors in the world but you've got to use them to the best of their ability to really appreciate what a difference they make, and that difference is simply how much later you could brake if you were brave enough. Sure, they'll stop you better than your old brakes but that doesn't mean that you're getting the best from them. The main reason for the massive advances in braking technology in F1 is to allow the brakes to be applied later and still knock off enough speed for the next manoeuvre, allowing them to achieve quicker lap times. These advancements eventually make their way to the road car scene a la Porsche carbon/ceramic discs, etc. Of course longevity comes into it, but not so much in racing unless it's a 24hr.
So from that I think it's safe to assume that to use big brakes TO the best of their ability requires big *****.
Incidentally, I left mine at The Ring if anyone fancies them? ***** that is...

S.

Last edited by Stef; 04 September 2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:16 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

You were left foot braking Stef?
Old 04 September 2005, 12:28 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi John.
Not when I first got them I wasn't. That was something I learned to do after the AP's were fitted. I remember having chats with several people about it, yourself included. I think left foot braking is much easier when you have a more controllable braking solution, ie the AP's and Performance Friction pads which I loved. Wasn't it you that suggested those pads?
Would you agree with my previous statement?

S.
Old 04 September 2005, 12:55 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

pretty much yes, LFB and using the PF pads is superb if you can control the lockup, which is easier with ABS on road tyres with the UK impreza, with a non ABS car it takes a bit longer to get used to LFB and PF pads, they are a bit snatchy on relatively low grip tyres ie road tyres or narrow slicks, ideally you need wide race slick tyres to get the best out of them.

The problem with LFB can be how you wear out the syncro's with clutchless gearchanges, piece of cake with a dog box but road boxes on tarmac can get destroyed. I have never got on with LFB, but if you can master it it can give you a bit of an advantage, especially on a track that is tight.
Old 04 September 2005, 01:13 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

That may have soemthing to do with the four 'boxes I went through then!

S.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

John; bit of a hijack but..... The Espirit that you used to spanner for; was it a white one? I remember that being the only car that could beat Chris in the GT championship in about 1989, just before he moved to Tuscans. Did it have a large Chevrolet V8 (assuming thats the car)?

Simon
Old 04 September 2005, 02:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Stef; that should have read: ...how late you can break and the size of your bollocks...

Old 04 September 2005, 02:58 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> If you're comparing the Subaru supplied Sti Brembo's with AP's then there is
> a difference. The Sti Brembo's use a solid disc bell arrangement whilst the
> AP's will have a floating disc.

The STi Brembos use a one piece cast iron disc and bell. The AP's use a separate iron disc and ally bell but it's not mounted to the bell to be floating, it's solidly bolted.

AP's page says they don't recommend floating discs for road cars because the bobbins that allow float can get crudded up on road cars. They have a new strap drive system for road cars that gives the advantage of floating discs without the risk of crudding up but I'm not sure if they're available yet.
Old 04 September 2005, 03:54 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Stef; that should have read: ...how late you can break and the size of your bollocks...

Indeed that would have been a more obvious way of putting it, but surely how late YOU brake is a personal statistic and therefore bollocks are more appropriate?
Your quote means that everyone with the same brake set up COULD all brake as late as each other, but we know that they won't.
Also, I had an AP kit that fitted under standard 16" wheels, so there were clearly cars out there with much bigger discs. This didn't mean that they outbraked me though, it just means that they could have done if they'd had bigger bollocks!!!!
Therefore, I maintain that there IS a correlation between how late you brake and the size of your bollocks.

S.

Last edited by Stef; 04 September 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:37 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!
I found a link with my old braking pics. I thought they'd gone forever! The pics were taken at Donno with the AP kit.

The first one, 'Steffi Stuka'
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/images/stef06.jpg

And 'Hot Stef'
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/images/stef04.jpg

S.

Last edited by Stef; 04 September 2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 07:33 PM
strongman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

martin
GOT THEM ON MY TYPE-R,WENT FOR THE 352m AP 6 POTS ON 18s
HAD TO FIT 5m SPACERS AND LONGER WHEEL BOLTS TO FIT,
LOOK THE BOLLOCKS AND I CAN STOP!
Old 04 September 2005, 07:57 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

seen the strapdrive discs do i need ap calipers or do i use on brembo calipers?
martin
Old 05 September 2005, 07:14 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IAN K UK300
Though Godspeed can make cheaper replacements for either.
so long as you dont use them on a track .. or they tend to crack from the bolt holes that secure the bells to the discs.
i have had 2 sets from ian that have done this .. each set has done 3 track days and about a total mileage of about 4,500 miles .. so im very impressed as aparently i brake too hard ..

Many thanks.
Old 05 September 2005, 08:21 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eagle
so long as you dont use them on a track .. or they tend to crack from the bolt holes that secure the bells to the discs.
i have had 2 sets from ian that have done this .. each set has done 3 track days and about a total mileage of about 4,500 miles .. so im very impressed as aparently i brake too hard ..

Many thanks.
this has never happened with AP's as far as I know. Different quality&/or material perhaps? I would not settle for the 'brake to hard' line. What pads do you use? What calipers disc size is on the car?
Old 05 September 2005, 08:52 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eagle

Many thanks.

Pete, wasn't the answer to spend some more money as you brake too hard?
Well done Ian

Nath
Old 06 September 2005, 07:25 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Eagle , speaking to Ian I believe that he did you a custom job to fit under you odd wheels , if he does a something that has not been tried and tested before they may not be as reliable for some reason than say something he's made a 1000 of , perhaps something need modifying on them , What Ian did offer was to supply you a set at cost price , even though you've had them on for over a year , perhaps he can look at the same time to making any changes he see's fit , maybe you should try to put a bit more effort into sorting them out instead of bitching , From what I can gather he spent quite a bit of time on your car making this kit to fit , as no one else could do anything for it , you would end up paying a fortune elsewhere for the extra time involved , you had all that for for a price of discs , and he's even given you free pads in the past for your 6 pots , they dont come cheap...

Nice to see Nath the lap dog chipping in is he your puppet ?

Chris
Old 06 September 2005, 08:29 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

back to topic-will changing brembo 4 pot 330 to ap 6 pot 330 make a difference or do i have to go the whole hog get 18" alloys/tyres and 356 6 pots
martin
Old 06 September 2005, 08:31 AM
New_scooby_04

back to topic-will changing brembo 4 pot 330 to ap 6 pot 330 make a difference or do i have to go the whole hog get 18" alloys/tyres and 356 6 pots
martin
If Ap 6 pots on 330 discs can't stop you in time mate, you must be a paid up member of EXIT!!

NS04

Quick Reply: ap vs brembo