Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre wear - This must be a record of sorts

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 06:47 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tyre wear - This must be a record of sorts

My car is having a rumbling noise like going over a "sleeping policeman". First suspect was wheel bearing, so got the car on jacks and revved the wheels in gear, no noise detected. Mechanic took it for a road test and declared it tyre noise. So went to tyre shop, got tyres switched front to back and balanced, all the while observing the spin of the tyres on the balancing machine and sure enough, one of them was slightly out of round. Called the tyre rep over and after checking with his gauges, agreed it was out of round and authorised a replacement. Amazing thing, the Bridgestone Potenza RE711s have put on more than 20k miles and still have 80% thread left. Unfortunately, they are now out of production and instead of the usual credit for thread left, I have a new Potenza G3 as a free replacement. At that rate of wear, my old tyres would have lasted me at least 60k miles. I must be the slowest driver on this BB, still on the original set of rear brake pads at 75k miles.
The downside is I have another 80% new tyre that I can't possibly use again (without having mixed tyres on the same axle) lying in my garage, and the stupid noise is still there!

Last edited by lokokkee; 14 July 2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 14 July 2005, 05:16 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

took me a while, but eventually i realised the "kilos" you are talking about are kilometres not kilograms. what a numptie i am
Old 14 July 2005, 07:04 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Talking

To eliminate the confusion, I have edited the first post to read all miles instead.