Brake upgrade options advice for MY05 WRX PPP please

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2005, 11:39 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade options advice for MY05 WRX PPP please

Hi all
Got my eye on the group buy at Godspeed but knowing nothing about these things I thought I'd drop in here first for some help please

I should explain it's for normal spirited road use - won't be tracked at all - just want something with a bit more confidence and performance and which I won't have to change the discs and pads on every 6 months..

I could be tempted to spend a grand or maybe a bit more but obviously don't want to if it's not going to be worth it..

The 335mm upgrade kit looks like a good value option using the existing four pots ?
What pads would people recommend with it out of Ferodo DS2500, Mintex M1155 or Redstuff ceramics ?

Or is it worth spending more and getting an AP kit or the like with replacement four pot calipers ? Is six pots going to be that much worth it over four ? What about the Subaru prodrive kit - loads of money but whats the benefit ?

Last question Drilled / grooved / or drilled and grooved. Obviously the latter looks the coolest but what should I be considering here !

Many Thanks chaps..sorry for all the questions !

Pete
Old 08 July 2005, 11:34 AM
936ADL
Scooby Regular

I looked into the Godspeed option when i was looking into this subject.

In the end i went for the Prodrive option offered by the dealers. Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. The stopping power is awesome. The fact they look fab(especially behind 18''s) as well is a bonus.

The thing that swung it for me was the warranty angle.
Old 09 July 2005, 07:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You could save yourself a shedload of cash and try some Ferodo DS2000 (or DS2500 if you can handle the cold operating characteristics) with stainless braided lines and DOT 5.1 fluid. I've been running this set-up on my 03 WRX PPP for some time, including track work and very spirited country lane driving without any fade and plenty of retardation, and all for less then 200 quid. Put the extra cash into some good suspension mods
Old 09 July 2005, 07:24 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys -
The prodrive kit is very very tempting but £1500 is an awful lot to drop on it..

What's the deal with the cold operating on DS2500 ?

Anymore input much appreciated..
Old 09 July 2005, 07:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The DS2500 are a track pad, but can be used on the road. Scoobyclinic advise against this as they've known a few people have "incidents" with them as they don't bite very well when cold, but superbly when hot. Can be a bit scary when you're on a motorway and the brakes are clap cold having not been touched for many miles and you suddenly need to do a high speed stop. If you drive aware of them and their behaviour then you shouldn't have any problems. After all, many people do. I have the DS2000's which aren't quite as good for track and extreme driving, but so far (6k miles and counting) have been excellent apart from a little squealling when lightly braking in slow traffic.
Old 10 July 2005, 01:42 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

lack of cold performance of ds2500 is a bit of a myth, they will happily work equally as well as an O.E type pad when cold - they just have a far greater temp and friction ability when used properly (i.e. straight after the initial push of the pedal)

also ds2500 is NOT a full on track pad, will cope with light track use within reason dependant on your style, but speaking personally i can 'lose' ds2500's very quickly in track scenarios...................

if cold bite is your thing and you are also looking for a good high performing road pad then personal choice would be the Pagid rs4.2.1, similiar to ds2500's at the top end but far greater initial friction..............

hope this helps, alyn
Old 11 July 2005, 07:13 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

If your sticking with the standard sized discs , irrespective of which pads you put in , they will have no where near the performance and look of the Godspeed 335mm kit , these make a massive difference in the braking ability , and the group buy is still on , and you can have either Redsyuff ceramics , mintex M1144 or Ferodo DS2500 pads in the kits , which in this kit they have a much bigger than standard sized pad

Trending Topics

Old 11 July 2005, 02:13 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

For my MY02, I first replaced the pads (for DS2500), braided lines, DOT5.1. I don't think the pad is a pure track pad. There is a lack of cold bite if really cold (over the winter), but that only happened for the first couple of miles/5 minutes.

I've now fitted Godspeed grove disks too (standard size - check that those 335mm ones will fit on standard calipers).

Overall its got greater stopping power and more consistent, I'm not particularly a late breaker, but occasionally will test the car and they are better than the oem sfitted parts IMO.
Old 11 July 2005, 03:05 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Yes the 335mm kit from Godspeed uses the standard Subaru 4 pot calipers , it wont fit with the Subaru gold Brembo's
Old 11 July 2005, 05:47 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

the AP 355mm 6 pots are the best money can buy!.....I just upgrade these from the Prodrive Alcons and it no contest ....
but it will hit you in the wallets though
Old 12 July 2005, 08:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with your Brembo calipers, go for a floating disc set (discs and bells), probably cost you around 5-600 quid with AP discs, pick a good set of pads, i like Mintex 1144's for fast road use, never had a problem with them (including no squeal), cheaper option and pretty much on par with most other 4 pot kits out there for a fraction of the cost

Tony
Old 12 July 2005, 08:42 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Its a WRX , it doesn't have Brembo's , it has the steel Subaru 4 pot calipers
Old 12 July 2005, 08:47 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok change those for some brembo's, the normal ones i think come off the likes of a fiat coupe turbo, you will get good braking power with these, i ran a similar kit on my MY00 PPP'd turbo, stopped very quickly (308mm AP discs and mintex 1144 pads).

Tony
Old 14 July 2005, 01:11 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Bartop,

I have an 03 WRX and the cheap improvements are as follows: Different pads (Pagid has the most initial "bite" but is expensive - but the cheaper DS2500 is a great allrounder).

Braided hoses take away the pedal "squish" .....

The Godspeed 335mm upgrade kit is a very cost effective middle ground option - but any disc / bell combination is always going to kick the backside of a single piece disc (as used in the Prodrive setup). BTW warranty isn't really much use with brakes (which obviously are a consumable a bit like tyres).

If I had the money I would have a 335mm AP 4 or 6 pot kit and those on my Group Buy (of which you spoke earlier) are very competitive in terms of price. You could actually buy a spare set of discs, bolts and pads to go with them and still be cheaper than the Prodrive Kit!

You could easily sell your existing brakes on here to someone with an early classic!

Let me know if I can help .....

MM