Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2005, 01:56 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Upgrade

All the kits I see seem to be for the fronts, surely there must be a good upgrade for the rears too? My99 by the way. Anyone know?

Cheers

Dave
Old 01 July 2005, 02:30 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you after? big brake conversion or just uprated discs and pads.

Godspeed do a big brake conversion for the rear but it is about £650 IIRC, uprated discs can be bought from any good tuning shop or even Fleabay.

I was considering using 2 pots the front of an early scooby and fitting them to my rears to add a bit of stopping power, would like to go for a bigger disc but then you have to start shelling out big bucks.
Old 01 July 2005, 02:33 PM
JohnS

Fit better pads and better brake fluid at the same time as braided hoses when you sort out the fronts.

The fronts do about 85 - 90% of the effort under heavy braking and the rears are really just used to stabilise things. If you uprate the rears too much, and don't fit something like a brake bias control, then you run the risk of the rears locking up/activating the ABS when you haven't reached full braking power on the front. The overall result will be longer braking distances!

Yes, you should uprate the rears if you intend to do endurance racing, or go rallying with a hydraulic handbrake, but for normal road use/occasional track use it simply isn't needed.

John
Old 01 July 2005, 04:56 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS
Fit better pads and better brake fluid at the same time as braided hoses when you sort out the fronts.

The fronts do about 85 - 90% of the effort under heavy braking and the rears are really just used to stabilise things. If you uprate the rears too much, and don't fit something like a brake bias control, then you run the risk of the rears locking up/activating the ABS when you haven't reached full braking power on the front. The overall result will be longer braking distances!

Yes, you should uprate the rears if you intend to do endurance racing, or go rallying with a hydraulic handbrake, but for normal road use/occasional track use it simply isn't needed.

John
The rear brakes have their own ABS channel so even if they did activate, more pedal pressure would still give more front brake effort.
I agree, the Impreza desperately needs more rear brake bias. This would assist control of the car in bends. You don't go as far as a complete loss of grip to balance a car. A small extra load on the rear can reduce understeer well before lock-up happens.
The easiest way to acheive more rear brake effort is to alter the existing brake bias valve. Does anyone know how? I'm still working on that but it's a longer term project.

John
Old 04 July 2005, 05:08 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

When I do them, the ABS is coming out braided hoses all the way through and a brake bias valve installed. It´s only 60quid for a screw type one, same for a lever. However anyone tempted should go for a screw type for the road. I use a lever type on the rally car, but the pipes are inside the car.

I was going for a conversion, calipers and all, the rears arn´t up to much. IMHO you should always have the same compund pads front and rear. To open up a larger choice I´d like to have a better caliper