Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Front Brakes for STi 8

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 03:18 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Front Brakes for STi 8

I'm about to turn 30k miles and the 'big' service is due. I'd like to fit new brakes up front before the service to avoid paying over the top dealer prices.

Car is currently running Red Stuff pad's fitted by the previous owner, there is about 4mm left on the pads and at worst a 1mm lip on the discs. The current setup is no better than the standard MY99 brakes and I have little confidence in them.

Looking at EBC Direct you can get ungroved EBC discs and Red Stuff pads for a fraction of the dealer price, would this restore confidence and be suitable for fast road use? Would it be advisable to get my existing discs skimmed and get another 10k out of them?

Thanks in adavnce.
Old 28 June 2005, 12:16 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I would try the red stuff ceramic pads and have the disks skimmed if there's enough on them. If they have 1mm lips though its time for a change.....
Old 28 June 2005, 01:36 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Current red stuff are crap so you're going to fit more red stuff? Huh? What kind of decision is that?

Try Pagid RS4-2-1 if you're rich, try Ferodo DS2500 if not. Try anything but what you know doesn't work.
Old 28 June 2005, 07:38 AM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Didn't think it was that odd a decision? I was informed that the old Red Stuff's sucked and this is what was causing my problems, the new ceramic formula is another kettle of fish apparently? Had green's on my Pug GTi before and they did the business.... no reason why the new red's can't be a match. Are the Pagid's/Ferodo's worth the extra cash, is it feel or imposibility to fade?

I would have expected more than 28k out a set of disc's, infact more like double. The car does mainly motorway miles and I'm not a late stopper!! Is break wear a known issue?

Thanks in advance.

Nixon
Old 28 June 2005, 02:47 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nixon
I'm about to turn 30k miles and the 'big' service is due. I'd like to fit new brakes up front before the service to avoid paying over the top dealer prices.

Car is currently running Red Stuff pad's fitted by the previous owner, there is about 4mm left on the pads and at worst a 1mm lip on the discs. The current setup is no better than the standard MY99 brakes and I have little confidence in them.

Looking at EBC Direct you can get ungroved EBC discs and Red Stuff pads for a fraction of the dealer price, would this restore confidence and be suitable for fast road use? Would it be advisable to get my existing discs skimmed and get another 10k out of them?

Thanks in adavnce.
Hi

The tolorence on discs is generally only 2mm, so 1mm on each side of one disc.

Pads, once at 2mm you should be going easy and looking to replace them asap.

Redtuff Ceramic is the best suited EBC pad for your car, for fast road use.

HTH

Buck