Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bridgestone Potenzas to Eagle F! GSD3?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 08:50 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bridgestone Potenzas to Eagle F! GSD3?

Hi All,

The rear tyres on my MY99 are going to need replacing soon, the prev owner replaced the fronts shortly before I got the car. It's running on the std Bridgestone Potenzas.

I was just wondering whether it's worth saving myself a few quid and just replacing the rears with the std Bridgestones, or replacing all four tyres with something like Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s (I've read numerous threads to the effect that these are very good all round tyres). Since I've only had the Bridgestones on the Scooby, I lack a good reference point from which to make this decision. Has anyone gone through with a similar upgrade? Are the F1s significantly better and worth the extra dough?

Thanks for any help.

NS04
Old 30 April 2005, 10:43 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi

I have gone from bridgestones to F1's last year. Firstly I always found that the bridgestones were very poor in the wet, ok in the dry but tramlined alot. This always made me think, that car wasnt that much better than others makes on the road due to lack of grip.

But when I changed to F1's what a difference. They have excellent grip in the dry and wet, with no tramlining experienced.

points to note, you will need about a 1000 miles to scrub them in, after that the grip is fantastic. The side walls are softer than bridgestones so when you first push on in a corner with the F1's it will feel a bit odd( you soon get used to it).

Shopping around you should be able to get them for about £80-95 each fitted and balanced

My car has 16" wheels

Get a set of F1's you wont regret it.
Yours is a classic, so if you havent had it done yet, I would get a full geometry, whiteline adjustable rear ARB, droplinks and bumpsteer mod done at powerstation. These mods and F1s will make a hell of a difference.

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 30 April 2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 30 April 2005, 11:24 AM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Originally Posted by andy97
Hi

I have gone from bridgestones to F1's last year. Firstly I always found that the bridgestones were very poor in the wet, ok in the dry but tramlined alot. This always made me think, that car wasnt that much better than others makes on the road due to lack of grip.

But when I changed to F1's what a difference. They have excellent grip in the dry and wet, with no tramlining experienced.

points to note, you will need about a 1000 miles to scrub them in, after that the grip is fantastic. The side walls are softer than bridgestones so when you first push on in a corner with the F1's it will feel a bit odd( you soon get used to it).

Shopping around you should be able to get them for about £80-95 each fitted and balanced

My car has 16" wheels

Get a set of F1's you wont regret it.
Yours is a classic, so if you havent had it done yet, I would get a full geometry, whiteline adjustable rear ARB, droplinks and bumpsteer mod done at powerstation. These mods and F1s will make a hell of a difference.

Andy
Thanks Andy,

Appreciate the comments. I have 16inch wheels too and am also considering the front and rear ARBs and geometry set up etc... Just finding the money! I'll do it in stages.

All the best,

Paul.
Old 30 April 2005, 12:28 PM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

Just had F1's put on mine and I wouldn't change for anything else...get yourself a set!
Old 30 April 2005, 03:36 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Went from standard Potenzas to F1's, won't be going back.
Mac.
Old 02 May 2005, 10:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks for your comments guys! Looks I'll be getting a set then!

NS04