Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Judder

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2005, 05:05 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Judder

Have noticed over the last 1,000 miles that the brakes on the Legacy are not as good as I would have expected from a car capable of 150 miles an hour. Particularly of late I am noticing that there is quite a lot of brake judder. which is noticable through the steering wheel, drivers hands and indeed through both front seats.

Has anyone had this and if so what was the cause? The car is going in for the corrosion I mentioned earlier this week but I don't want to look an ar$e if it is common.
Old 16 April 2005, 05:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'm no mechanic, there can be many reasons for brake judder. The most common are worn brake pads and /or warped discs. Mention the problem when the car is in, ask them to check out the brakes and see what they have to say.

There are no cures to brake judder without replacement parts. Some people have tried getting their discs skimmed, but its not worth it imo.

If you brakes are quite new, and you have managed to warp them you need to think about how you managed that. If you were just silly and parked the car up with very hot brakes then you will have to remember not to do that again.
Old 16 April 2005, 08:22 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I'm no mechanic, there can be many reasons for brake judder. The most common are worn brake pads and /or warped discs. Mention the problem when the car is in, ask them to check out the brakes and see what they have to say.

There are no cures to brake judder without replacement parts. Some people have tried getting their discs skimmed, but its not worth it imo.

If you brakes are quite new, and you have managed to warp them you need to think about how you managed that. If you were just silly and parked the car up with very hot brakes then you will have to remember not to do that again.
In all honesty I dont know what has happened. We have had an Impreza and Boxster before this car so are used to performance cars. I don't think I would have got the brakes that hot.
Old 17 April 2005, 10:58 AM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Catherine
In all honesty I dont know what has happened. We have had an Impreza and Boxster before this car so are used to performance cars. I don't think I would have got the brakes that hot.
as stated there could be whole host of reasons for the judder.... I have just discovered my front caliper is siezed causing the brakes to stick slightly and also not apply as much pressure as they should causing some feedback through the steering wheel... At first I presumed pads were getting low...

good luck sortin the prob..but certainly best bet will be an inspection of brake pads, discs and CALIPERS..
Old 18 April 2005, 07:23 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Default Brake Judder Update

Ok the outcome of the trip to the main dealer today. Mechanic has confirmed there is a problem and it is yet another Legacy in need of the discs skimming or replacing. Apparantly the brakes on the Spec B are no different to an other Legacy. He also stated that the problem lies in a compatibility issue with the pad and disc.

These are all his words not mine, I might add.

The car is booked in on Friday for the discs to be re-skimmed as a first course of treatment.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:04 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Just a grab at a straw, but have you gone out and got them a bit warm, then tried some hard braking (not to zero mph) to clean up things? Could well be wrong of course, but it sounds like it could be a pad residue build up IMHO. My, now 5 years old, BE5 got that feeling every now and again when I had the factory pads in it too - noticed it on my buddy's BL5 GT (JDM turbo) as well. Some decent braking seemed to clear it up in a jiffy. BTW, said m8 runs his car on track and has zippo issues with warping - not heard of it much here at all TBH.

HTH