Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS doing strange things after Rear disk and pads changed Helppp

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2005, 07:49 PM
micday07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS doing strange things after Rear disk and pads changed Helppp

Newbie questions, I apologies in advance....
I have a Frog Eyed 2001 WRX Impreza,
A month ago I changed the front disks and pads, everything was ok.
At the weekend I changed the rear disks and pads, easy enough job I thought, it all went well, re-assembled . . . .ready to go.
Took it for a drive, and the ABS kicks in at the slightest touch of the breaks, if I drive slowly I can hear a ticking noise coming from the drivers side front( I assume that this is the ABS pump ), after a few hundred yards the ABS light comes on and the car drives/breaks perfectly.
I've removed the ABS fuse and the car again drives/brakes perfectly, no ABS though, and the breaks are actually better than ever.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful as I'm sure a trip to the local dealer will prove expensive.
Old 13 April 2005, 08:06 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

a trip to the dealer shouldnt prove to expensive as you only need to know what the fault code is is it possible that you have broken / got the sensor full of crap ?
Old 14 April 2005, 08:23 AM
micday07
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bikerthou
a trip to the dealer shouldnt prove to expensive as you only need to know what the fault code is is it possible that you have broken / got the sensor full of crap ?
Have checked and cleaned the rear sensors, was thinking about unplugging them at the ABS unit and connecting an oscilloscope to them to see if they are behaving as expected, i guess that's what the dealer would do in a round about way (or just read the error codes). . . . .
I have read that there is a way to read out the ABS error code but have not found details on how to do it.
Old 18 April 2005, 03:54 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Got the same problem on mine after changing the rear disks/pads. If you find out whats causing it please let me know so I can check mine. Meanwhile I'll have to carry on driving with the ABS disconnected.