Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Potenza RE070 versus Toyo T1-R

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 10:11 PM
vz64
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potenza RE070 versus Toyo T1-R

I consider buying Toyo T1R, but here in Canada Toyo starts selling them only in the next few weeks. It means no reviews/tests/personal opinions are available. Toyos will replace Potenzas RE070 in my STi. Well, some Toyo owners complain that T1-S has a pretty mushy sidewall, which results in a delayed turn-in. I wonder if T1-R is more responsive than T1-S? Has anybody here had a chance of driving both RE070 and T1R? I did find a couple of reviews on scoobynet, but I would appreciate if anybody can compare the 070 and T1R directly - thanks guys!
Old 24 February 2005, 07:59 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

I've only done 2K miles on the T1-R's, but from my view at the moment the R's are noticeably more compitent both in the wet and dry than the S's for a start.

I had RE070's on my SpecC when I first bought it and I was disappointed when moving across to the Toyo's in the dry, the RE070's are a good bit better IMO, but the tables are turned in the wet and the opposite is true (to a greater extent, as while the RE070's are surprisingly good in the rain, any standing water will have you clenching those butt cheeks and worst still, when it's intermitent drizzle and the roads are nice and greasey, you'll be checking your driving seat for embarassing colour changes in the fabric if you have to push the car to even half it's dry limits).

The same can be said of many tyres in greasey conditions to an extent, but the RE070's seemed a lot more scary than the Toyo's, Goodyears, Bridgestone and Michelin variants I've driven on in the past.

But if your after a tyre that will aid your car in making your passengers physically dizzy when in the middle of a long motorway corner (and admittedly myself to an extent on one occasion) in the dry, I would have no other choice of the tyres I've tried on my car than the RE070's (if they did 18" ones, I would still have them on in the Winter and risk the seat stains with some handy wet wipes to hand on each journey and a role of masking tape for the front bumper).

Hope that's helped some,

Cheers

Andy
Old 25 February 2005, 04:10 AM
vz64
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Andy - I will go ahead with Toyos and spare RE070 for track days...
Old 25 February 2005, 02:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

don't suppose you know how the toyos compare to F1 GSD3s do you?
Old 25 February 2005, 08:03 PM
vz64
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by Adam M
Well, for what I know Eagle F1's bad in snow?
Old 27 February 2005, 03:29 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
I've a bit of select opinion on this as most people tend to like the GSD3's to the Toyo's. Personally my view is, if you want a tyre that is unmatched in the wet, the Goodyear GSD3 is the one, even when the tyre is almost at the end of it's life, it was still gripping in the wet for me. However it's dry performance for me, was not up to the Toyo T1-S and the T1-R is a little better again.

I found the breakaway of the Toyo's to be more predictable and very progressive in letting you know when your on the limit and about to exceed it. The Goodyears have a little more flex that can be disconcerting and you think your near the limit when your not.

It comes down to price most of the time, the Toyo's are normally cheaper and therefore it's not worth the extra for the Goodyears, but I got my Goodyears at a cracking price of less than £100 a corner (for 18" ones) hence the reason why I bought them instead of the Toyo's.

At the end of the day though, everyone has their preference - best thing to do is just keep trying the sets until you find one your happy with (that's all I do, I'd stop changing if I found a tyre that I was happy in all conditions with), till then my quest continues