Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

BREMBO'S OR BIG DISC CONVERSION?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 07:47 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question BREMBO'S OR BIG DISC CONVERSION?

Have been mooching around for prices, and for the price of a big disc conversion. Average about £600, i have seen Brembo's and discs advertised (used). What size discs do the brem's use? So would i be better for that upgrade or the big discs? Or go for standard size uprated, Grooved, Drilled or combi? I own a V7 STI WAGON BUGEYE, but for some reason it has the subaru standard 4 pots not the Brembo's ( subaru think the wagon driver is more sedate) It also has 19" RSGT wheels, wot do you think?
Old 18 January 2005, 08:03 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooray, some one finally talking about the best upgrade

I can't compare on a scoobs brakes but have had no probs with brembo discs & pads on the wifes Evo 5 (despite a lot of warping reports on other threads) with similar 4 pot calipers, braided hoses and racing blue brake fluid, got AP Racing brakes on my daily driver and they feel even sharper. Worth finding out your local rally prep team as they can be a good source of used parts

19" Wheels? Hmmm
Old 18 January 2005, 08:10 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

i think sti brembos are 320mm discs might look a little small on 19's why not buy the calipers and brakets and get a big disc kit for them? godspeed prob do a kit for them and you'll get new discs and pads.

mike
Old 18 January 2005, 08:19 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC, you can get some truly massive brakes to fit under 19s. Have recollection of a KAD 8 pot (IIRC) conversion with 355mm discs, that'd do the job! Not cheap, though. Depends on how hard you want to use them. In normal road use, 300mm 4-pots with good hoses, fluid and pads are enough, 320/330 Brembo's or similar with good hoses, fluid or pads are better. However, even highly "spirited" road use can fade decent 300mm 4 pots. Do a lot of track use, heavy powerful car will hammer normal brakes, and IMHO you'd be better off with as big as you can get, with the separate bells&disks, etc etc.
Old 18 January 2005, 08:29 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

You'd be surprised how good your exsisting calipers are. If you upgrade to 2 piece disks and uprated pads, the difference will be positively noticable.

Anyway, 'nuf of that - pics of the STI Wagon please
Old 18 January 2005, 09:24 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
You'd be surprised how good your exsisting calipers are. If you upgrade to 2 piece disks and uprated pads, the difference will be positively noticable.

Anyway, 'nuf of that - pics of the STI Wagon please
Oh lord now i am confused. I dont want to really spend more than around £600, as i have just blown £4190 on the summer holiday. So go for the Brembo's and discs, or big brake like Godspeed do(335mm, i think). I dont do any track days and i don't really hammer the brakes. But the fronts need to be replaced soon, and i fancy somethig to fill in those rims as well. Mind you i felt the fronts fading on a forced down hill brake today and that made me wonder. Or could i do the standard size but uprated front and rear? Oh yes iv'e got pics of my wagon on my laptop but don't know how to get them onto scoobynet.
Old 18 January 2005, 09:55 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Mail the pics to me and I'll host them, or use photobucket.com

It seems to meet all your criteria the Godspeed 335 conversion is the way to go, its got 2 piece disks, will fill the wheels better too. They will handle anything the road will throw at them and more.

Having said that the Godspeed (or any other) replacement 2 piece disks for your OE setup would do the job with uprated pads and hoses, for half the cost.

Having said all that, if you found a 2nd had set of Brembo 330 disk/calipers for £600 that would be top choice IMO
Old 18 January 2005, 10:16 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Mail the pics to me and I'll host them, or use photobucket.com

It seems to meet all your criteria the Godspeed 335 conversion is the way to go, its got 2 piece disks, will fill the wheels better too. They will handle anything the road will throw at them and more.

Having said that the Godspeed (or any other) replacement 2 piece disks for your OE setup would do the job with uprated pads and hoses, for half the cost.

Having said all that, if you found a 2nd had set of Brembo 330 disk/calipers for £600 that would be top choice IMO
I'll have a go at the photo bucket, if no good do i mail the pics to you through scoobynet or your own e-mail address?
Old 18 January 2005, 11:26 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

Go for the Brembo's, u won't be disappointed.
Old 18 January 2005, 11:47 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Oh lord now i am confused. I dont want to really spend more than around £600, as i have just blown £4190 on the summer holiday. So go for the Brembo's and discs, or big brake like Godspeed do(335mm, i think). I dont do any track days and i don't really hammer the brakes. But the fronts need to be replaced soon, and i fancy somethig to fill in those rims as well. Mind you i felt the fronts fading on a forced down hill brake today and that made me wonder. Or could i do the standard size but uprated front and rear? Oh yes iv'e got pics of my wagon on my laptop but don't know how to get them onto scoobynet.
£4k on a holiday and £600 on the scoob - Damn, you've got your priorities wrong!!!

You quite often see the Godspeeds up for sale second hand. This to me is an indication of something.

I'm not experienced enough in middle-of-the-road upgrades, so I won't comment on the front brake options.

Most don't seem to bother with the rears much. A pad upgrade seems to be most popular option at the back. Some have said that upgrading the rear too heavily can make it lock up all too easily. Obviously, considering that the weight is transferred to the front under heavy braking, this makes sense.
Old 19 January 2005, 08:18 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
I'll have a go at the photo bucket, if no good do i mail the pics to you through scoobynet or your own e-mail address?
If you click on my name next to this post my Email is in there
Old 19 January 2005, 12:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

You quite often see the Godspeeds up for sale second hand. This to me is an indication of something.
'Tis to me too. It's an indication that people bought the kit, took it off the car to put the car back to standard when they sold the car, and sold it on 'cos it's worth having.

Alcazar
Old 19 January 2005, 06:41 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

If you click on my name next to this post my Email is in there
Ok will do that if all else fails. Will do it the weekend as my bro has a digi camera.
Old 19 January 2005, 06:44 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
£4k on a holiday and £600 on the scoob - Damn, you've got your priorities wrong!!!

I'm not experienced enough in middle-of-the-road upgrades, so I won't comment on the front brake options.

Most don't seem to bother with the rears much. A pad upgrade seems to be most popular option at the back. Some have said that upgrading the rear too heavily can make it lock up all too easily. Obviously, considering that the weight is transferred to the front under heavy braking, this makes sense.
I may go for the brembo's,( I think, I think) Plus the fact the Wagon has a TSL 333 Upgrade, so it may make sense.
Old 20 January 2005, 06:03 PM
baz sti 8
Scooby Regular

dont godspeed do a brembo kit for £950?
Old 20 January 2005, 07:35 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

The 335mm Godspeed conversion on the standard 4 pot calipers represent a truly massive improvement in braking for (IMO) very little money.

Old 20 January 2005, 07:37 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz sti 8
dont godspeed do a brembo kit for £950?
Not sure! I have decided to go for the brem's, as most say this is the best upgrade. Plus i'm not sure about the fitting of the big disc conversion, as it means tapping holes and other strange stuff, but if anyone has any other ideas i would like to hear.