Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

PFF7 Copy`s

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2005, 08:41 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up PFF7 Copy`s

Just a quick note to say that i have just received my pff copy`s, now i know some may say " i would never put a copy on/ only originals for me " etc,etc but i must say they are SUPERB ! and also very light, i was slightly concerned when i ordered them that they would be overly heavy but they seem very light, does anyone know how much an original pff weighs ??, i am going to way these wheels tomorrow at work then because they cost nowhere near dealer prices or group buy prices for the originals i am going to splash out on the rubber, anyone have any suggestions ??.The only obvious givaway is they dont have prodrive stamped into the inside of the rim other than that they seem identical. I will post some pics once i get them wrapped in rubber and on the car but i am delighted
Old 18 January 2005, 02:38 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep us advised Aly! Might be interested in a set for summer!

Russell
Old 21 January 2005, 04:55 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Yeah please do, and let us know if they chip etc easily
Old 21 January 2005, 08:49 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

They are now fitted to the car, i put 225/40/18 toyo t1s on, i am delighted with the way it looks, i will post pics tomorrow and you can see what you think.cheers
Old 21 January 2005, 09:52 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aly Mac
They are now fitted to the car, i put 225/40/18 toyo t1s on, i am delighted with the way it looks, i will post pics tomorrow and you can see what you think.cheers
I've had my PFF7 copies in gold since early November. I am very pleased with how they look but am a little concerned about the paint thickness. I do clean the car most weeks and have noticed the odd chip each time. It would be interesting to see what others experience.
Old 22 January 2005, 02:22 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Hopefully if i remembered how to do this right are some pictures of them on the car, what do you think ??

i think it looks alot better than it used to

i would have taken a few more pics but the batteries in the camera gave up the ghost

Last edited by Aly Mac; 22 January 2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 22 January 2005, 03:03 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

From the pictures they look very good, as good as the originals I fitted to my WR Blue STI.
How much were they?
Old 22 January 2005, 03:07 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

They look great, what colours do they come in?
Old 22 January 2005, 10:57 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

jaycee,they owe me £860 all in, thats with toyo t1s and the centre caps, ollie,as far as i know they come in gold and high power silver.cheers
Old 22 January 2005, 11:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine bought some of these off eBay recently. Look very good, but I have to say I would be concerned about them being simply cast from a mould of a proper PFF7. I'm no expert in the field, but I believe the PFF7 are "flowformed" allowing the alloy to be much thinner than on "cast" wheels whilst retaining strength. I think the OZ Superlegerra's are made using the same method, and again they are very light by being very thin. To use the same physical proportions on a "cast" wheel cannot possibly be as strong ???

Badone, can you jack up a front corner and spin the wheel whilst inspecting the inside rim. If the rim edge appears to wobble, then they have buckled. If not and good luck with them. Just stay away from potholes
Old 23 January 2005, 09:55 AM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

They look the dogs mate! Who sells them? I would like to eyeball them to have a look at the quality.

cheers
Old 23 January 2005, 11:57 AM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
A mate of mine bought some of these off eBay recently. Look very good, but I have to say I would be concerned about them being simply cast from a mould of a proper PFF7. I'm no expert in the field, but I believe the PFF7 are "flowformed" allowing the alloy to be much thinner than on "cast" wheels whilst retaining strength. I think the OZ Superlegerra's are made using the same method, and again they are very light by being very thin. To use the same physical proportions on a "cast" wheel cannot possibly be as strong ???

Badone, can you jack up a front corner and spin the wheel whilst inspecting the inside rim. If the rim edge appears to wobble, then they have buckled. If not and good luck with them. Just stay away from potholes
Corradoboy - I have a few small chips on the face so not sure why you are suggesting I check to see if the wheels are buckled?
Old 23 January 2005, 01:26 PM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

who sells them?
Old 23 January 2005, 02:01 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Badone
Corradoboy - I have a few small chips on the face so not sure why you are suggesting I check to see if the wheels are buckled?
what he is getting at and he is correct is that the original's are flow formed just like the oz s/legg's and s/tourismo's,the advantage over flow forming is that it get's rid of all the porous grain structure common in low pressure die casting,so as your copy's are the same thickness as the pff7's they aren't going to be as strong, so they will be more prone to buckling and cracking under stress.
Old 23 January 2005, 04:21 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

if got my pff -7s and goodyear tyres all in for £1380 thats better than the £1800 that subaru charge
Old 24 January 2005, 01:33 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Choosing the right specification of wheels and tyres is a bit of a minefield and is not as easy as saying 'they look the same and they are the same size so they must be OK'

The speed rating of the std tyres are a 90W and the normal aftermarket load rating is an 88Y in 225/40ZR18. This is fine for the front of a Porsche or similar but not for a relatively front heavy car like an Impreza. The general rule is that you should never go below the load rating of the OE tyre.

Broadly the same thing applies to the wheel as well. Assuming the wheel is a direct copy of the P-FF7 (it appears to be identical, even down to keeping the cast in JWL and VIA marking but removing everything else!) then as it won't be flowformed it will not be as strong in the inner rim and therefore would not pass the test at the GVW loading for an STi to get the JWL/VIA accreditation.

my cossy
The price for our wheels and 225/40ZR18 92Y PZero Nero tyres is now £1600

Mike
Old 24 January 2005, 05:32 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

mine is still £220 cheaper than yours mike ???
Old 25 January 2005, 01:24 PM
darexms
Scooby Newbie

Quote from - MikeWood
"
Broadly the same thing applies to the wheel as well. Assuming the wheel is a direct copy of the P-FF7 (it appears to be identical, even down to keeping the cast in JWL and VIA marking but removing everything else!) then as it won't be flowformed it will not be as strong in the inner rim and therefore would not pass the test at the GVW loading for an STi to get the JWL/VIA accreditation.
"

I don't want to start an argument here and I don't intend to cause offence but I feel we're being portrayed as irresponsible idiots.

1/ If we stamp a wheel VIA & JWL it's because it meets or exceeds the VIA & JWL standards that are required of it. We don't just stamp it there because it looks good.
2/ The wheels are made from a different mold to the Pf7 in a completely different country.
3/ The wheels have a VIA approved weight loading of 690kg, more than adequate for the Impreza.
4/ some of the additional checks/processes that the wheels go through are heat treatment, x-ray, radial fatigue test, cornering endurance test, 13 and 30degree impact test, salt spray test etc, etc.
5/ Flow formed wheels are inherrently stronger than gravity cast but 95% of all aftermarket wheels are gravity cast. Gravity cast is a world wide accepted manufacturing process for aluminium wheels.

I do not know how our wheel compares to the Pf7 for strength but I can tell you that ours is more than adequate for the purpose it is intended. We have been doing this for nearly 20 years.

Constructive criticism and questions are always welcome but it would be appreciated if people wouldn't make derogatory statements about something they know little or nothing about.

Sorry for the outburst.
Old 25 January 2005, 02:50 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

I dont see it as an outburst , so no need to appologise , just good answers to questions some have , I have these wheels and am happy with them....
Old 25 January 2005, 03:07 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

I think they look really good
Old 25 January 2005, 03:52 PM
darexms
Scooby Newbie

Cool

No worries guys, glad you like them ;-)
Old 25 January 2005, 05:12 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darexms
Quote from - MikeWood
"
"

I don't want to start an argument here and I don't intend to cause offence but I feel we're being portrayed as irresponsible idiots.

1/ If we stamp a wheel VIA & JWL it's because it meets or exceeds the VIA & JWL standards that are required of it. We don't just stamp it there because it looks good.
2/ The wheels are made from a different mold to the Pf7 in a completely different country.
3/ The wheels have a VIA approved weight loading of 690kg, more than adequate for the Impreza.
4/ some of the additional checks/processes that the wheels go through are heat treatment, x-ray, radial fatigue test, cornering endurance test, 13 and 30degree impact test, salt spray test etc, etc.
5/ Flow formed wheels are inherrently stronger than gravity cast but 95% of all aftermarket wheels are gravity cast. Gravity cast is a world wide accepted manufacturing process for aluminium wheels.

I do not know how our wheel compares to the Pf7 for strength but I can tell you that ours is more than adequate for the purpose it is intended. We have been doing this for nearly 20 years.

Constructive criticism and questions are always welcome but it would be appreciated if people wouldn't make derogatory statements about something they know little or nothing about.

Sorry for the outburst.
Some on here are clearly anti anything that isn't Prodrive/Subaru branded so I welcome the above. I was a little concerned about the strength issue but your reply has given me confidence in the product. Thanks.
Old 25 January 2005, 10:34 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

they are being sold as prodrive replicas and as darexms says they are not flowformed but gravity cast,if you have bought a £20,000+ car would you scrimp on cheap replicas considering how a subaru is normally driven!
i am not having a go but just putting forward a viewpoint
martin
Old 26 January 2005, 12:48 AM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

This thread is certainly raising a few questions and eyebrows at the same time it seems, what darexms says is all great and answers questions but to me doesn`t really matter all that much. I bought these wheels because i thought that they represented good value for money, me and i am sure everyone else who has bought them done so knowing they were not flowformed wheels and probably not as strong as the pff7`s, but hey who gives a f3ck ! because i am delighted with them and from my point of view the reason i bought the copy`s instead of the originals is because i reckoned i was going to spend approx 3K on the car and in doing this i wanted these wheels and plenty more power so buying the copy`s has also allowed me to look at the triple-3 conversion offered by TSL and spending the kind of money i knew that i had to spend, if that makes sense.cheers
Old 26 January 2005, 10:43 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

you will like the tsl conversion
martin
Old 27 January 2005, 10:34 AM
darexms
Scooby Newbie

Wink

quote by -
p1doc
"
they are being sold as prodrive replicas and as darexms says they are not flowformed but gravity cast,if you have bought a £20,000+ car would you scrimp on cheap replicas considering how a subaru is normally driven!
martin
"

It seems that people look at the price before the product? I understand what you mean but would you hold a higher regard for the wheels if they were just more expensive? We could have made the product in.....
Flow form,
Counter pressure,
Low pressure,
Forged etc.,
But decided the majority of consumers wouldn't be prepared to pay the money to lose that extra 0.5 kg or so from the wheel. (normally the above processes are about reducing weight rather than increasing strength for something of a common application)

We could have priced the wheels higher but our policy is to be fair and competitive.

Thank you everyone for your comments.
Old 04 March 2005, 01:19 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darexms
quote by -
p1doc
"
martin
"

It seems that people look at the price before the product? I understand what you mean but would you hold a higher regard for the wheels if they were just more expensive? We could have made the product in.....
Flow form,
Counter pressure,
Low pressure,
Forged etc.,
But decided the majority of consumers wouldn't be prepared to pay the money to lose that extra 0.5 kg or so from the wheel. (normally the above processes are about reducing weight rather than increasing strength for something of a common application)

We could have priced the wheels higher but our policy is to be fair and competitive.

Thank you everyone for your comments.
Where can i get some????

dazza
Old 04 March 2005, 04:45 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just ordered a set form www.scoobymania.co.uk 850+vat with toyo T1-r's
vfm if you ask me.

A.
Old 04 May 2005, 05:09 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Ordered a set today with Toyos from http://www.revolution.eu.com

Shopped around and they beat Scoobymania and Merseyspeed on price. Shall put them on this weekend and post pics in the members gallery.

Mike
Old 05 May 2005, 09:58 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

To answer a question in original post a bare genuine 18" PFF7 was 8.5 kg on my bathroom scales.

Cheers, Diccy.

Quick Reply: PFF7 Copy`s