Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

NAFF BREMBOS

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2005, 11:10 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAFF BREMBOS

Bought my MY04 STi +ppp and have had it about 2weeks, decided to open it up down the dual carrageway, Heart in mouth job by the time I got to the roundabout!!

Are Brembos normally that bad? they seem to have feel and bite at lower speeds but when you want to haul it down from the upper end they are cr*p, was shoving the pedal so hard didn't give me any confidence at all, I doubt if there was even enough to set off the ABS.

My V6 Galant had much better stopping power than this. Before I blow the nuts off the dealer any info would be appreciated. Is this how they are or do I have a problem?

Iv'e also found when reversing on smooth tarmac, slow speed, thet the rear end either feels like it is going up and down like on oval wheels or going over little bumps, which I know it isn't and in normal driving the rear end feels bouncy.

Is this another charactaristic of the car. Any advice please?
Old 08 January 2005, 11:28 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

i would say you have a problem there
have brembos on the tommi makinen and for a road brake they are more than enough for any situation
should really slow the car quite quickly--unless you drive a light weight single seater that you are comparing it to

pads can glaze etc possibly sombody took the car for a thrash b4 you got it and cooked the brakes not what you want to hear i guess
Old 08 January 2005, 11:38 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Could be so, off to the dealer monday chew his ear a bit over this one I think. come to think of it there was a nasty whiff about after i had tried to pull it up quick --- so perhaps they have been cooked and gone hard. Not really what I wanted to hear cos pads aint cheap, mind you they should sort it?
Old 08 January 2005, 02:08 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i think pads count as wear and tear,get some ferodo ds2500 pads,goodridge hoses and better brake fluid and you can engine brake as well
martin
Old 09 January 2005, 09:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sudga
Hi there, i am suprised that they are so poor, been in a few with the brembo set up and remember hanging in the straps under heavy breaking once or twice.

As you say you have only had the car for a short time so could be that the brakews are nopt yet worn in, check the manual for the procedure but this usually includeds some harsh braking to get it all bedded in and with that in mind;

Might well be the pads are glazed, some harsh stops from speed 50-70 (on a empty road of course) do not keep your foot on the brake afterwards so the pads stay in contact with the disk as you might get some transfer of pad material to disk or even warp it, this is of course as long as this does not put you/the car in danger if you know what i mean. This might well help sort this or could be duff pads or even something/contamination on the disks although not likely on both sides or it would pull to the 'good' side.

I managed to warp two sets on my MY99 (lasted around 18K per set) just through fast/average road use, no track work.

Let us know what the outcome is.

All the best

Paul

Last edited by The Zohan; 09 January 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09 January 2005, 09:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smudga
Iv'e also found when reversing on smooth tarmac, slow speed, thet the rear end either feels like it is going up and down like on oval wheels or going over little bumps, which I know it isn't and in normal driving the rear end feels bouncy.

Is this another charactaristic of the car. Any advice please?
Ouch, could be a pad 'grabbing' the disk, not retracting properly otherwise i am stumped, again be interested to hear what this is.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 09 January 2005, 10:35 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

hi m8,

the brembos are pretty crap, i am getting shot of mine and getting 6 pot aps, i put ds2500s on mine, with aeroquips and dot 5.1, still poor, not a patch on my ap 4 pots on my wrx..............
Old 10 January 2005, 10:13 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. Spoke to the dealer who said to bring it in and they will have a look ? It also needs a new oxygen sensor which they have on order so will take it in when this arrives and let you know the outcome.

Smudga
Old 10 January 2005, 01:35 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Mine seem ok, deffo better than standard. Coming up to a roundabout can be doing a tonne plus (in my private town ) stomp on the breaks bout 20 metres off and can choose whther to stop dead or carry on round at sensible speeds. I think the 2 cylinder design of the brakes gives them a soft feel as the main cylinder doesn't start to work until the brakes have been pushed quite far, I think some people mod them.
Old 11 January 2005, 01:48 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CataIunya
Mine seem ok, deffo better than standard. Coming up to a roundabout can be doing a tonne plus (in my private town ) stomp on the breaks bout 20 metres off and can choose whther to stop dead or carry on round at sensible speeds. .
If I did that would stop in the middle of the r/about after taking the signs out

Car is in on Friday, apparently only day they have a car for me to use!
Old 11 January 2005, 11:03 PM
spikus1969
BANNED

just change to red ceramic from ebc this will make a difference