Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Front discs for MY99: EBC, Tarox or Godspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 02:03 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front discs for MY99: EBC, Tarox or Godspeed?

Hi.

I want to get a new pair of front discs for my MY99 (4 pots, 294 mm), but i'm unsure about what to get.

Since I live in Portugal, we don't have as many options as you guys have in the UK, so it's pretty much limited to Tarox G88 or EBC grooved & drilled ones (don't know if they come in grooved only). Of these two which ones are better?
Are the EBC ones more prone to craking/warping because due to being grooved and drilled? I don't normally do trackdays (very very rare around here, unfortunately...), but I give the car some pretty "intense" usage on some twisty roads, that puts alot of stress on the brakes.

I'll be using the discs with EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads that I already bought a while ago, so that could also be a factor.

Also seen some pretty good reviews of the Godspeed discs. How good are these when compared with the other two I mentioned?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Paulo
Old 06 January 2005, 02:40 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

The drilled EBC disc is not drilled all the way through. They seem no more likely to crack than an undrilled disc. I think EBC call them spotted rather than drilled.
Old 06 January 2005, 02:51 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Also try www.camskill.co.uk They can deliver to Europe.
Old 06 January 2005, 07:50 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your replies.

EBC discs I can get here in Portugal at a good price. Any price advantage that UK shops could have disappears when you add the shipping.

What I would really like to know is which one you'd recommend EBC Turbo Grooved or Tarox G88? And are the Godspeed grooved ones better than those two?

Cheers,

Paulo
Old 07 January 2005, 11:53 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently upgraded both front and rear discs on my MY00.

After a lot of digging around I went for the vented (not drilled), grooved Godspeeds. I stayed with std. size (money was tight) and I am really pleased with them.

From the threads I found Godspeed seemed to be the best option and I would buy th same again.
Old 08 January 2005, 05:46 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Paulo

I'd avoid the EBC discs. I've had them with red stuff pads, and ferrodo pads. They were noisey and didn't perform very well. The grooves are very wide, and this means less pad to disc contact, plus it means they eat non EBC pads (red stuff lasted 18,000 miles, ferrodos 8000). Initial bite with the red stuff wasn't good enough for the road.

I'm now using Tarox 40 groovers (?G88) with mintex 1166 pads and these are superb. I'd advise not using the springy backing plates on your pads either as this improves feel and brings the bite point right up making heel-toeing easy. Downside is that you can get more squeal at low speeds.

Cheers

Simon