18" Raceline RL-7-s on Type R

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 01:42 PM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 18" Raceline RL-7-s on Type R

Hi all!

I have an STI version 5 Type R, which should receive wheel upgrade very soon.

My favorite wheel is the Raceline RL-7's, but there are a few concerns about it, which I would like to clear up, before ordering from abroad (cannot get them in Hungary directly).

So.
1. I have heard that the standard suspension will not accept the 18" wheels? Is that true, or they fooled me?

2. I will also buy 225/35/18's Tyres. I have read, that Pirelli's are fine in that size, but what about the other brands? (Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Toyo in particular?

3. I have only seen deals about Raceline RL-7s on Graham Goode. Is there any other place (either UK or else), where I can get a good deal on them?

4. Would the AP Racing 362mm brake kit fit under it on my classic?

Sorry about the length, but it is important to know, what my options are...

Thanks in advance and Cheers,

R
Old 07 December 2004, 02:41 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Glen at Revolution used to run his Type R on 18 RL7's no problems.
If you click on the website and enter the 'Subaru' section you'll find pictures in the 'Brief History' bit
Old 07 December 2004, 04:36 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the width and offset. I'm in the process of trying various sizes (18 inch) at the moment on a 7.5 et45 set of rims. On my Sti4 Type R I can get 225/40/18, so I would expect that 225/35/18 should not be a problem for you.

Originally Posted by ronin_hungary
Hi all!

I have an STI version 5 Type R, which should receive wheel upgrade very soon.

My favorite wheel is the Raceline RL-7's, but there are a few concerns about it, which I would like to clear up, before ordering from abroad (cannot get them in Hungary directly).

So.
1. I have heard that the standard suspension will not accept the 18" wheels? Is that true, or they fooled me?

2. I will also buy 225/35/18's Tyres. I have read, that Pirelli's are fine in that size, but what about the other brands? (Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Toyo in particular?

3. I have only seen deals about Raceline RL-7s on Graham Goode. Is there any other place (either UK or else), where I can get a good deal on them?

4. Would the AP Racing 362mm brake kit fit under it on my classic?

Sorry about the length, but it is important to know, what my options are...

Thanks in advance and Cheers,

R
Old 08 December 2004, 11:16 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Glen at Revolution used to run his Type R on 18 RL7's no problems.
If you click on the website and enter the 'Subaru' section you'll find pictures in the 'Brief History' bit
"Richiewong" THANK YOU for the help... It is a bige help actually, because I have pretty much the same chassis, so i should be fine...

Thanks again...
Old 08 December 2004, 11:20 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Depends on the width and offset. I'm in the process of trying various sizes (18 inch) at the moment on a 7.5 et45 set of rims. On my Sti4 Type R I can get 225/40/18, so I would expect that 225/35/18 should not be a problem for you.
Actually the ones I found on Graham Goode are ET45, but 8" x 18" in size (a bit wider)... However, I am not worried about the diameter, but rather the width.

I have seen a guy ordering 8 by 18's and either the Spring touched the inside or the chassis rubbed down the outter side of the tire... That's why I am concerned, since nobody else has an STI 5 around here, no one else knows about Raceline wheels, so I am relying on reputable sources (UK )...

R
Old 08 December 2004, 02:34 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I am not the expert, but trying to offer my experiences that's all. From my calculations with an 8 inch wheel compared to a 7.5 inch, you'll have over 6mm more both 'under' the wheel arch and 'out side' the wheel arch. The rim maynot be the problem here though. It is the tyre that will catch and I expect that if you could run a 215/35/18 you MAY be okay, BUT I expect (IMO) that this tyre would be too narrow for the rim and it would be too stretched over an 8 inch rim. I think that most (if not all) professional outfits would shy away from advising you to fit XXXX tyres to these rims. I'm having enough difficulty on a 7.5 inch rim.

Actually the ones I found on Graham Goode are ET45, but 8" x 18" in size (a bit wider)... However, I am not worried about the diameter, but rather the width.

I have seen a guy ordering 8 by 18's and either the Spring touched the inside or the chassis rubbed down the outter side of the tire... That's why I am concerned, since nobody else has an STI 5 around here, no one else knows about Raceline wheels, so I am relying on reputable sources (UK )...

R
Old 08 December 2004, 02:38 PM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I am not the expert, but trying to offer my experiences that's all. From my calculations with an 8 inch wheel compared to a 7.5 inch, you'll have over 6mm more both 'under' the wheel arch and 'out side' the wheel arch. The rim maynot be the problem here though. It is the tyre that will catch and I expect that if you could run a 215/35/18 you MAY be okay, BUT I expect (IMO) that this tyre would be too narrow for the rim and it would be too stretched over an 8 inch rim. I think that most (if not all) professional outfits would shy away from advising you to fit XXXX tyres to these rims. I'm having enough difficulty on a 7.5 inch rim.
Hi GPSSTI4,

That is exactly what I have heard, hence my concern... But I so much wish to have 8x18 wheels, that is why I am asking... The 7x17"-s the ones everyone suggests to experience no problems.

How could Revolution Tuning could fit those on the Type R then...? I am so damned confused...

Cheers,

R
Old 09 December 2004, 11:11 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Any more suggestions ? Please...
Old 09 December 2004, 02:35 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

If you fit coilovers then you will be able to get away with more(?) offset and 'push' the wheel under the arch further. With that I'd expect you to be able to run 8 inch rime with the correct tyres.
Any more suggestions ? Please...
Old 09 December 2004, 06:52 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

I have an Sti Type-r V5 and run 225/35/18's on OZ WRC wheels (same as p1's)

I have Bridestone SO-3's and have had no rubbing at all.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:28 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T-gro
I have an Sti Type-r V5 and run 225/35/18's on OZ WRC wheels (same as p1's)

I have Bridestone SO-3's and have had no rubbing at all.
What offset are you running? Do you have the standard suspension (coilovers, springs etc.)?

R
Old 10 December 2004, 08:54 PM
Dave.K
Scooby Regular

I am running 8x18's with a 45mm offset on my V4 Type R, on standard suspension, just had the tyres swapped from Toyo T1/s 215/35x18 to Goodyear GSD3's 225/35x18.

Firstly the arch’s will need rolling with either size, I did run with no arch mods on 215 for a year with occasional contact. You can run with 4 people in but you have to watch for bumps.

Having just fitted 225, it makes contact on the smallest of bumps with just me in, so the arch's will have to be folded/rolled.

And just to add 215's on 8" alloys look stretched and offer no rim protection, also tram lining can occur.

The 225's have solved these problems.

The brakes should fit fine; I have Godspeed 335mm kit, however the design of the alloy will determine the calliper clearance.

215's

Old 11 December 2004, 12:00 AM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

ronin,
you might want to give redpath tyres in duns,scotland a try, i bought a set of 7 x 17s, a few years back, they gave me the best deal,they are clued up on offsets etc, they way it was explained to me is that the wheels are machined to suit when ordered, but i must warn you that as they are a motorsport wheel the paint finnish is not exactly top class, i powdercoated mine two years after purchase as is just seems to be normal paint and laquer on them, but they do look good on the car!

regards
dave
(they have a website, so just hit google!)
Old 13 December 2004, 11:36 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave.K
I am running 8x18's with a 45mm offset on my V4 Type R, on standard suspension, just had the tyres swapped from Toyo T1/s 215/35x18 to Goodyear GSD3's 225/35x18.

Firstly the arch’s will need rolling with either size, I did run with no arch mods on 215 for a year with occasional contact. You can run with 4 people in but you have to watch for bumps.

Having just fitted 225, it makes contact on the smallest of bumps with just me in, so the arch's will have to be folded/rolled.

And just to add 215's on 8" alloys look stretched and offer no rim protection, also tram lining can occur.

The 225's have solved these problems.

The brakes should fit fine; I have Godspeed 335mm kit, however the design of the alloy will determine the calliper clearance.

215's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...liperFront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...aliperRear.jpg
Thanks for the detailed information...

How is rolling/folding done? Could you show it through pictures (before/after) ?

Dave,

I found http://www.redpath-tyres.co.uk/ website. However, I did not see wheels on it. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for all the support. I am glad that Subaru ownership provides International help from supportive people...

R
Old 14 December 2004, 11:08 AM
Dave.K
Scooby Regular

Rolling/folding is generally done with an arch rolling tool, the link below shows the full process on a BMW.
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/

I haven’t got mine done yet, as no one has the tool on the island so will have to make a trip to the mainland at some point, hence no pics of the scoob.
Old 14 December 2004, 12:36 PM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave.K
Rolling/folding is generally done with an arch rolling tool, the link below shows the full process on a BMW.
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/

I haven’t got mine done yet, as no one has the tool on the island so will have to make a trip to the mainland at some point, hence no pics of the scoob.
Thanks for the info... First time hear about something like that...

I might check on a few people around here doing the same thing or not...

R
Old 16 December 2004, 10:06 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

I had a set of RL7's 17"x7 on my last car. Excellent wheels and never had any problems. Not sure what the 18"s were like though.

When I was researching at the beginning of the year about some new centre caps for my RL7's (The old ones were slightly marked).

I found out that Raceline had ceased trading and were no longer making these wonderful motorsport wheels. They were a UK company, with agreat uk Motorsport heritage.

I believe speedline bought the rights but have not yet (If they ever will) produced them.
Sorry, but I could be wrong.

And Glenn Campbell of Revoultion Motorsport, whom everyone has talked about previously, was a Rasceline stockist, he confirmed at the time of my search for centre caps that they no longer make them.

Have you actually asked Graham Goode's if they have them??

You may be lucky enough to find some companies with some stock of them here in the UK.??

Good luck.

Muddy

Last edited by muddy; 16 December 2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 18 December 2004, 01:32 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

What offset are you running? Do you have the standard suspension (coilovers, springs etc.)?

R
It's the standard offset, I got them from a Subaru dealer (cheap though!) so they are exactly the same as the P1 fitment.

All my suspension is standard, for a couple more weeks
Old 03 January 2005, 10:27 AM
hunlimo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Small world isn't it Ronin?
Old 03 January 2005, 11:49 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

The AP Racing 362mm disc kit will NOT fit under 18" wheels, the 355mm disc kit will.

Mike.
Old 21 January 2005, 10:14 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hunlimo
Small world isn't it Ronin?
Hehe Subaru Global Subaru...

R