Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Small wheel balancing weights???

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2004, 09:42 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small wheel balancing weights???

Hi all
I have not long had my front wheels balanced, again, and the weights look like f'ing house bricks, they look bloody awful.
Has anyone around the Nottm. area had wheels balanced and can recommend me somewhere to go for a decent sized weight?
Old 31 October 2004, 10:09 AM
richiewong
Twatful

If it takes that much weight to balance the wheel then you're stuck with them
Are they the rim type, if so you can get the ones that stick on the inside of the wheel which don't spoil the overall look
Old 31 October 2004, 11:58 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have yet to find somewhere that does those on the inside of the wheel.
I know what you mean about overall weight, but, the actual shape of those i have is pathetic. I have similar weight on another wheel, and the weights are a different type so they look better.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:03 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've just located this old thread as I was going to post a similar one, thought I would resurrect it. I have had four new Eagles and also now have quite big weights. What on earth do these do? I've not had them from previous fitters. I think the place (which is very good on price and service) must just fit them as standard. I have also just had a new tyre on our old Fiesta. The weight is so big that the hub cap won't fit back on over the top of it!
Wots that all about??

The wheels on the scoob are badly in need of a refurb so I'm not too fussed, but say I had a nice shiny new set of 18's, surely these weights are going to leave big marks?
Old 26 October 2006, 04:48 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I've just located this old thread as I was going to post a similar one, thought I would resurrect it. I have had four new Eagles and also now have quite big weights. What on earth do these do? I've not had them from previous fitters. I think the place (which is very good on price and service) must just fit them as standard. I have also just had a new tyre on our old Fiesta. The weight is so big that the hub cap won't fit back on over the top of it!
Wots that all about??

The wheels on the scoob are badly in need of a refurb so I'm not too fussed, but say I had a nice shiny new set of 18's, surely these weights are going to leave big marks?
Yeah i agree, but any place that knows how to treat alloy wheels will have stick on weights that go on the inside of the wheel and not on the rim.
That is how all alloy wheels should be balanced imho.
Unless you buy a Subaru and they sell it you with lovely hammer on weights FFS. Cheap *****.
Old 29 October 2006, 08:38 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if these weights really have to go on? Do they actually perform any function?
Old 29 October 2006, 09:44 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if these weights really have to go on? Do they actually perform any function?
Are you asking about balance weights there?
Old 29 October 2006, 10:05 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If the weight weren't there then you would get a lot of vibration through the steering wheel. When the tyre is made there are heavy spots within the tyre, this in unavoidable, the purpose of the weights is to balance these heavy spots out. If the balance machine shows that a lot of weight is needed it can be possible to reduce the requirements by rotating the tyre on the wheel to bring any heavy spots in the tyre and the wheel into a position where they counteract each other.
Old 30 October 2006, 09:20 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

OK so they are there for a reason and that explains what balancing means. Do the fitters have a range of different weights they can use, say if I got 18's would the lower profile mean that a different weight should be used? Just my current ones seem quite big. Ta!
Old 31 October 2006, 07:42 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

OK so they are there for a reason and that explains what balancing means. Do the fitters have a range of different weights they can use, say if I got 18's would the lower profile mean that a different weight should be used? Just my current ones seem quite big. Ta!
The weights are chosen purely on how much balancing that particular wheel/tyre combination requires. I have seen different shape weights between manufacturers, but only once. They will always differ in shape and size as the weight of them are all different, and that is why they will look different. It is purely a weight thing.
So to clarify for you, if you end up with a big weight on there then the wheel and tyre needs it so unfortunately you have to live with it.
Yes they look ****e, but tbh unless you get proper stick on weights you have no other options.
Old 31 October 2006, 05:49 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also to add to this, the use of lead weights is now being phased out so manufactures are having to use other less dense metals to make up their weights. So consequetly they are much bigger than they used to be.
Old 31 October 2006, 07:25 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Maybe thats why they are bigger than previous. Very dangerous obviously.... having lead weights on your wheels. I used to lick 'em all the time!
Now I've started to notice, there are all manner of weights on different cars. The neatest seem to sit just proud of the rim clipped under tyre, presumably so they don't scratch the alloy.
Old 31 October 2006, 08:21 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Very dangerous obviously.... having lead weights on your wheels. I used to lick 'em all the time!
LOL, i like it. But fair comment though. I mean how many balance weight lickers have you seen lately?