Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Grinding noise from front car - can stones get stuck in brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 04:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Grinding noise from front car - can stones get stuck in brakes?

Had to book car in for MOT and on way noticed a loud grinding noise after a few hundred yards. Stopped the car, engine sounded fine, nothing hanging from underneath.

Decided to drive slowly back to work when there was a clang and the noise has stopped. Drove to the MOT station and had a drive around and the noise hasn't come back. Once back at work I felt behind the discs and I can feel a deep score on it. The discs and pads are only a couple of months old.

I know its silly to ask for diagnosis of such a problem but is it possible for a stone to get stuck somewhere? Also, I've put one of the pad wear indicators on the inside of the caliper whereas the other one is on the outside. Could the wear indicator somehow come loose and caused the grinding sound?

When its in for its MOT I've asked for them to check it over but I've driven at least 10 miles now with no recurring noise.

Alternatively could an exhaust bracket have worked loose and rubbed on the shaft or something?

TIA
Old 25 October 2004, 07:44 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

most likely as you have described a stone...............not common but can occur!!

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 25 October 2004, 08:57 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through a newly laid anti-skid surface a while back and got exactly the same noise - big surprise. Stopped and reversed and it must have pinged the grit out. I did have visions of having to strip the brakes down to clean them though...