Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Subaru 4 Pots clonking !!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2004, 12:27 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru 4 Pots clonking !!!

Just upgraded to the above, Using Ebc red stuff ceramic pads & Ebc Turbo Groove discs, Sometimes after reverse braking, Then pulling off, There is a clonk , form the front, sometimes drivers side, Sometimes passenger. Only thing that has changed since this started is the brakes !! Could the be grabbing slightly , Or could the Pad location pins be worn ?? they did not look it .. Or is it just Normal

Thanks

Dean
Old 20 October 2004, 12:40 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Just upgraded to the above, Using Ebc red stuff ceramic pads & Ebc Turbo Groove discs, Sometimes after reverse braking, Then pulling off, There is a clonk , form the front, sometimes drivers side, Sometimes passenger. Only thing that has changed since this started is the brakes !! Could the be grabbing slightly , Or could the Pad location pins be worn ?? they did not look it .. Or is it just Normal

Thanks

Dean
Hi Dean,

It's just the pads moving back and forwards in the caliper. If they were too tight you'd have problems with them sticking on. 'They all do it' will be the answer you hear!

Best regards,

Ian
Old 20 October 2004, 03:36 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IAN K UK300
Hi Dean,

It's just the pads moving back and forwards in the caliper. If they were too tight you'd have problems with them sticking on. 'They all do it' will be the answer you hear!

Best regards,

Ian
Hi Ian , Hows it going ??

Thanks for that , It is what i wanted to hear, Strange as even though you know nothing else has changed, your mind goes into overtime

Dean
Old 20 October 2004, 04:35 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF

Thanks

Dean
Had the same problem with mine mate when i put new disks and pads on... take the pads off,give them a good clean,copper grease the backs of the pads up.....job sorted.Sounds too simple to be true but it worked on mine,never had no clunking since.
Old 20 October 2004, 04:54 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
Had the same problem with mine mate when i put new disks and pads on... take the pads off,give them a good clean,copper grease the backs of the pads up.....job sorted.Sounds too simple to be true but it worked on mine,never had no clunking since.
Right, Copper slip out it is then

Cheers

Dean
Old 20 October 2004, 05:30 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

If the pads are slightly smaller by a thou or so then you'll always get a knock as you reverse, the pads lift up & when you stop, driven by gravity are forced back down.......
<CLONK>

No amount of copper slip or anyother lubricant can overcome basic physics......
Old 20 October 2004, 05:36 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
If the pads are slightly smaller by a thou or so then you'll always get a knock as you reverse, the pads lift up & when you stop, driven by gravity are forced back down.......
<CLONK>

No amount of copper slip or anyother lubricant can overcome basic physics......

Hmm, High Temp Araldite glue could overcome physics

Does leave me with a slight problem of changing next time round though

Dean