Dodgy Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2004, 10:50 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy Brakes

Hi Guys,

Am after some advice. I've had my MY02 WRX for about 18 months now and have done approx 15k miles with zero problems until now

I seem to be suffering some sort of "brake fade" on from what feels like the front drivers side - it doesn't seem to make much difference whether I've been driving the car for 5 miles or 50 miles but occasionally if I brake hard it feels like the pads aren't doing their job properly and I can feel some sort of judder from the same area / through the brake pedal. I've checked the pads all round and they have approx 3-4 mm wear left on them all round?????

Any ideas?

They are the original pads btw

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by T4molie; 11 October 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:28 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Hi Guys,

Am after some advice. I've had my MY02 WRX for about 18 months now and have done approx 15k miles with zero problems until now

I seem to be suffering some sort of "brake fade" on from what feels like the front drivers side - it doesn't seem to make much difference whether I've been driving the car for 5 miles or 50 miles but occasionally if I brake hard it feels like the pads aren't doing their job properly and I can feel some sort of judder from the same area / through the brake pedal. I've checked the pads all round and they have approx 3-4 mm wear left on them all round?????

Any ideas?

They are the original pads btw

Cheers

Andy
Your discs maybe warped or crarked. This is a common problem with subaru brakes apparently. Get some uprated ones,- ebc, diamond, tarox. also get new pads aswell. This should eliminate brake fade completely ( unless you are driving lke Schumacher!) I went for ebc discs and red stuff ceramic pads, and boy did they make a difference. Good luck m8y
Old 11 October 2004, 12:56 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

If it's an MY02 it should still be under Warranty, so if it is the disks warping then they should be replaced under Warranty surely?

However I guess that doesn't guarantee them not doing it again and an upgrade may be more appropriate. I have an MY02 and haven't had this problem, so it appears not all disks warp, so getting them replaced under Warranty would be a cheaper solution.

But then it maybe something else, I think 3-4 mm is getting low. I have replaced my pads already.

Last edited by Miniman; 11 October 2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11 October 2004, 02:27 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys.... think I'm gonna have to have a closer inspection

Andy