Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Need to cool the brakes on MY03 STi

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 10:04 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to cool the brakes on MY03 STi

I have just managed to warp the disks on my MY03 STi by driving it hard around the Nurburgring. Having spoken to a few other STi owners it seems that this is a common fault on the car. Im thinking big one piece disks and very high temps = warping.
I know the EVO's suffer from this, even more so I believe than the scoob. Power Engineering do a kit to channel cold air to the brakes to aid cooling. But its EVO only at the moment. Without spending £1000's on uprating the brakes does anyone know of a brake cooling kit or such like on the new age cars?

Out of interest I always cool the car down at the end of a lap, and i always try to leave the car out of gear brakes off for a period of time to stop pad transfer etc.

While the warped disks dont seem to affect braking performance under very hard braking, the feedback through the steering wheel under normal braking is pretty awfull.

I have now had the disks skimmed but need a solution before I go back to Germany, coz I know I will only do it again within a few laps

any ideas???
Old 30 September 2004, 10:11 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Take out the fog light covers, get some tube, stick it in the fog light hole and point the other end at the disks.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:47 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Any warranty come back for warped discs Gutmann ?
Old 30 September 2004, 10:48 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

As davyboy has said, Bob Rawle did the same to give his induction kit some cold air induction. If you buy the foglight surrounds and fit the piping it looks very neat.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:55 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Andy,

My warranty went south a long time ago mate. I would have done well to have claimed for disks anyway. They are a consumable I should think and not covered.
''Dear mr dealer on the 10th time of trying to reduce my speed from 150MPH down to 90mph in rapid sucession the brakes started to judder'' Oh dear Gary, thats a problem lets have your disks off and give you some new ones ......lol Nice try

I think I will be having a wee look see in the duct area, cheers guys.......

hmmmmmmm whats that noise coming from 10ft behind me. Its a rapid prototype machine which makes any shape you like in plastic as long as you can draw it on CAD......A plan is hatching for a bit of weekend work me thinks
Old 30 September 2004, 11:02 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

What you will probably be experiencing is uneven pad deposition on the discs, only to be expected when the car is used on a track. Sometimes this clears up by itself as the deposition gets worn off but other times if it has gone too far, the disc never recovers.

The easiest solution is not to brake quite so hard and back off when the noise/vibration starts

Bit difficult when you are putting in sub 9 minute laps though.............

The other thing to note is that this will get worse if you use an uprated pad such as DS2500 as they will just allow you to reach higher temperatures and still deposit the material on the disc.

Mike
Old 30 September 2004, 11:16 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comment Mike. The problem is once the vibration starts it doesn't stop. Even after the car has been properly cooled down, if I then drive it down the road from cold and touch the brakes it vibrates. Not as bad as on the track admittidley but it does it all the same.

When I had the disks skimmed they were found to be warped, one more than the other I have to say.

I try everything I can to stop pad transfer occuring and had assuming that if it was pad transfer it would disappear under normal driving after the track use?

Next April will see sub 8.30 laps so I need a solution to this. Any suggestions, hopefully without a £2500 brake conversion.

Oh and I use EBC red or green stuff pads, the reds lasted about 25 laps, the greens I havent killed quite yet.

Thanks in anticipation of any comments

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2004, 11:57 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
the reds lasted about 25 laps
The old compound reds only used to last 9 or 10 laps - do you think your choice of pads has affected disk life?
Old 30 September 2004, 12:00 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I drive like a fairy though Richard

Not sure about the disks to be fair. They feel alright again since they have been cut, but the car hasn't been driven in anger so I wont know for sure till I do. I just know that the problem is going to come back a few laps in.

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 30 September 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 04:55 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

look in demon tweeks brochure-they sell hoses and brake ducts
martin