Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY03 WRX SL PPP Brake Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 08:33 AM
ac427
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 WRX SL PPP Brake Upgrade Advice

I have an MY03 WRX SL PPP, nice car but the brakes don't seem to be up to much for enthusiastic use, i think the PPP is too much for them.

i wondering which way to go for an upgade, so far i am considering the following but wondered what you guys thought:

Prodrive pad upgrade

Prodrive 330mm kit (£1500)

KAD 330 kit

also what pads would you recommend for fast road use as i might upgrade the pads and out the bugger

any help or past experiences would be greatly appreciated Ta

Last edited by ac427; 28 September 2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:47 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Godspeed 335 discs?

See the thread in group buys - a couple more and the price comes down even more and they're a lot cheaper than the Prodrive kit

Combine this with either the Mintex or Ferodo pads Ian has and you've got something well capable for most road use

Other pads available - have a search around for info

At a guess the Prodrive pad upgrade is a more aggressive friction material but uses your standard OE discs. This should give you a bit more "bite" but potentially can wear discs out quicker and you could have gained a double-whammy by putting bigger discs on to increase braking force due to increased torque with the larger diameter.
Old 28 September 2004, 08:49 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

PS for warranty keeping concerns, you've only got the Prodrive options...
Old 28 September 2004, 09:27 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I have the Prodrive 330mm disks and calipers on my WRX and they improve braking performance no end.Mine has an Ecutek remap etc etc so is running 287bhp or so (Or it was when it was last on the rolling road)
The Prodrive kit ain't cheap but the pedal feel is fantastic and the stopping power makes your head hurt at times lol
I found I had to put a strut brace on the front though as I could feel a bit of chassis flex due to the extra braking power when you stamped on them

Good luck

Nick

P.S: For a cheaper option,as mentioned above,look at the Godspeed 330mm kit which retains the standard calipers and will work out a lot cheaper
Old 28 September 2004, 10:05 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Have you done anything to the rears or are they still standard?

I'm doing the Godspeed 335 conversion to the fronts and wondered if it upset the braking balance much (although I'm not using competition material on the new fronts so it's not likely to be as harsh...)
Old 28 September 2004, 10:20 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Prodrive brakes, but found that my wagon was weaving a bit under heavy braking.
I balanced the rears with some uprated pads from Alyn at AS Performance. Can't remeber the pad type - I think it was Terinex? and cost about £40.

I also added goodridge hoses and the feel is lovely. The only thing I had to watch was new tyres as the ABS kicked in easily until they were well scrubbed.

Nick
Old 28 September 2004, 05:38 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

As the other Nick has said above,I too felt the braking didn't feel balanced when stamping on them (The nose dived and the back of the car sat up) so I upgraded the rear pads with Ferodo DS2500's (The same as the fronts actually)
Now the braking is brilliant.Get the rears done if you plan on fitting bigger disks at the front!!

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 06:13 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 WRX with StopTech front brake conversion, braided front hoses, and nowt done to rears yet, i didnt realise there was any need? Anyway, they are nothing short of awesome. They are rapidly gaining an excellent reputation. The guy at TSL who drives my car when i am there says they have loads more initial bite than his AP's, and to use his words are "absolutely awesome", but of course, that may be biased as they sold them me! No, but seriuosly, they are well good. Go take a read of this guys.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=2852
It is a long winded article, but shows you 4 after market brake upgrades and loads of figures for you to look at
Hope it helps.
Old 28 September 2004, 06:17 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

This is just a quick quote from the link i posted above, and is in NO way meant to be argumentative from my point of view.

"All these kits replace only the stock front brakes. That's because front-heavy production cars such as the WRX rely on the front wheels to do about 80 percent of the braking. When you apply the brakes to slow the car, the braking force is exerted on the pavement at road level. The center of gravity of the decelerating car is roughly 20 inches higher. As a result, the load on the front tires increases, while the load on the rear tires is correspondingly decreased. Since tire traction is almost directly proportional with load, most of the braking force is allocated to the front tires, where traction is plentiful. Since the rear brakes play such a small part in this, there would be little gain in upgrading them. "
Old 30 September 2004, 10:22 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Which ones dont warp after heavy use on the track??? The standard disks do and quickly .......
Any of you use your different disks on the track and for prolonged periods? I can warp mine in a half day on the Nurburgring.