Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Offset range for Classic

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 05:06 PM
LeMans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset range for Classic

Can anyone advise me what the offset range is for a 16" wheel on the Classic.

I have been offered 16" x 7.5" wheels with a 48 (Compomotive) and 45 (Advan RG) offsets but thought that the original offset was higher ?.
Old 27 September 2004, 05:48 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

The originals are 53mm. The 48mm offset will be ok but you'll need to modify your rear arches to fit 45mm.

Take it from someone who found out the hard way
Old 29 September 2004, 01:05 AM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

Can I jump in and ask what tyres you were running 205/40 or 45? I've been told that 45 offset is ok on a classic if running on 205/40 tyres so I'm suprised to hear you had problems. (And I was just about to buy a set of 17"s with 45 offset so would like to clear this up b****y quick!)
Old 30 September 2004, 07:24 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Be careful. Standard wheels are 7in, not 7.5in, ET53. Tyres are 205/50x16.

LM and SB, I think you will both have problems with rubbing at the rear the way you're going. And speedo errors.

To be safe, I wouldn't go wider than 7in, or lower than ET50. And take care to match the aspect ratio to maintain the same overall diameter and an accurate speedo.

Richard.
Old 01 October 2004, 07:29 AM
LeMans
Scooby Regular

I should add here that I have been running 7.5" wheels for a year that I borrowed and have had no problems with rubbing or anything else.

Also that the wheels are for slicks for hillclimbing but that I would not run 7.5" on the road.

They offer tremendous grip with soft slicks this wide.

As for a 45 offset, I have been advised that this offset is not good, it adversley affects handling, steering and tramlining.

I have however asked a wheel manufacturer for their comments where the only wheel they make for the Classic is a 45 offset and I'll post their reply if and when I get one.
Old 01 October 2004, 11:11 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Some people have been lucky with ET45 wheels, maybe because they are driving imports which don't have the plastic protection strip above the rear arches as fitted to UK cars. Take it off if you like, and gain an extra mm or so.

It also depends on the tyres, some of which are way off their quoted size. A recent magazine article found a difference of 7mm in width between tyres of the same nominal size.

At the other extreme, I have had slight rubbing on my UK Classic using ET50 wheels. But that was a while ago and a different set of tyres sorted it.

And as stated above, if you go too far off the OEM settings, you will effect handling. Lower ET (ie wider track) will weight up the steering, put more leverage on the suspension and could promote tramlining. On the other hand, I've heard some people say they prefer it that way!

Richard.