Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheel spacers...YES or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2004, 07:40 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers...YES or NO?

What thickness spacers do I need for my WRX03 in order to fit STI's Brembos with my 18x8"-ET51 Superllegeras?
And if I need say 4-5mm thicks is this setup "normal" for my car (I am going soonly to upgrade my suspension with STI8 take offs), I mean do I have problems due to more wheight away from the hub?
I know some JDM Prodrive wheels have 43 offset for STI fitment but guess these are very light wheels compared with my Superleggeras!
Professionals your opinion please!
JIM
Old 28 August 2004, 10:43 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Just to make thinks more complicated can I fit rear STI Brembos on my WRX if I have also the rear STI hubs or have to buy rear drive shafts etc?
I have been told that rear Brembos need "adapter" kit to fit but what that means I don't know, what I am sure is that calipers bolt directly on hubs so why the Brembos won't fit if I use the STI hubs?
Thanks
JIM

Last edited by JIM THEO; 28 August 2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 29 August 2004, 12:20 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful Jim. I dont think the length of the wheel studs will allow this kind of mod, they are a bit on the short side.
Measure carefully!

Old 29 August 2004, 01:55 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

It tends to be the case that 3mm is fine, 5 is cutting it a bit to close to the bone, but will go and 7mm+ will require a spacer kit of longer bolts. The think to bare in mind, is that every mm will result in that little less thread holding your pride and joy to the things that keep it on the road (and with some of the roads around the country being in the state they are these days, I wonder how I've not lost at least the front 2 wheels already on mine with no spacers).

It terms of being light weight, the SuperL's are well up there as one of the lighter wheels, so no worries on that one. Maybe you could just uprate your discs instead of the callipers as well if you want more braking (or are you set on the Brembos?). I've got AP 6-pots on mine and they don't stick out as much as the Brembos, but they do go a little wider, so it depends on what wheel your putting on - perhaps there are other brake kits that you can get a good 4-pot setup and will allow you to have you wheels on as well - ask around for that one

I wanted to get uprated callipers on the rear of my car (AP's again), but they don't do them without a hydraulic handbrake, so it's a no go for me. I thought about the Brembos at the time, but the answer was pretty much a no go as nobody seemed to think that the fronts would go on the backs regardless of what modification they had.

Hope some of that has helped
Old 29 August 2004, 02:57 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Be careful Jim. I dont think the length of the wheel studs will allow this kind of mod, they are a bit on the short side.
Measure carefully!
Have been told that 8 nut rotations are enough to hold tight the wheel but haven't ever measured how the OZ nuts that come with SuperLeggeras "seat", thanks anyway I'll have it in mind!
My superleggeras are 51 offset - 2mm away from factory setup and if I add 3mm spacers the final result is a wheel with ET48, quite used offset, I guess that isn't dangerous, right?
Blueboy regarding rear STI Brembos on WRX you only need an adapter to hold the calipers on your factory backing plate.
Of course In order to use the STi rotors you also need to press in the new disk a 10mm spacer to make up the difference in the parking brake diameter!
I have been offered the front STIs very cheap so I try to find the best compromise.
JIM

Last edited by JIM THEO; 29 August 2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06 September 2004, 11:57 AM
subaru.utd
Scooby Newbie

Default wheel spacers

using wheel spacers i have been told could upset the handling..is this true ??? i would like to make my my02 wrx look similar to the back end of the sti, the sti sits wider at the back ,ie so that the wheels clear the brakes.i have 18s the prodrive oz ones. they look good but need to come out of the arch a bit more as per the sti.......would a small spacer be ok ie from demon tweeks...they do kits that widen your track by 50 mm, 25mm and something smaller!!!! has anyone tried spacers comments please ....