Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

what's the minimum thickness of metal on a brake dics you can have?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2004, 02:28 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what's the minimum thickness of metal on a brake dics you can have?

as above please, quess the best way is to measure the total width with callipers? or is the lip left on the disc a measuring indicator?

disc is a std ukmy99 by the way.

need to know to settle a dispute with a dealer, so any help would be mUCH appreciated.

cheers
Old 21 August 2004, 02:50 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I understood that the disc minimum thickness is 2mm less than new, which I think is 22mm - new discs being 24mm
Old 21 August 2004, 08:27 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

as above........................the "min. thickness" is normally cast into the disc at some point dependant on manufacturer..............a vernier caliper is the best/ most accurate means of measurement!!
hope this helps

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 21 August 2004, 09:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

no the lip isn't a wear indicator because it can also have a build up of rust which would give wrong readings . you have to measure over the lip and on the faces where the brake pads run. if in your post in general the readings you took are right i.e 2mm and 1.6 then your discs are below minimum thickness and the dealer was right to say they need replacing especially as you seem to be consistant in the wearing out of discs i.e every 20k which is pretty normal to be honest. i don't think they are trying to put one over on you.
Old 21 August 2004, 09:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

alyn, when you say it's cast on the disc, where is this?

can't believe you only get 1mm of wear each side of the disc to play with, would imagine they use cheese for metal for these discs so that won't last long at all!!
Old 21 August 2004, 09:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
no the lip isn't a wear indicator because it can also have a build up of rust which would give wrong readings . you have to measure over the lip and on the faces where the brake pads run. if in your post in general the readings you took are right i.e 2mm and 1.6 then your discs are below minimum thickness and the dealer was right to say they need replacing especially as you seem to be consistant in the wearing out of discs i.e every 20k which is pretty normal to be honest. i don't think they are trying to put one over on you.
yeah, took a calliper reading today and they're about 22.5mm so this backs up my dealer.

i always thought you'd get 40k from the discs and 20k from the pads, expensive mistake