Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Right, which brake setup to go for ....

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2004, 06:58 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right, which brake setup to go for ....

I am after a non-fade brake setup for fast road use .... current no name brakes fade considerably, with pedal to the floor after 3 to 4 hard braking applications on a nice n twisty road! Car is an STI v5 running 16" wheels and 295mm discs with the Subaru 4 pot calipers up front. I am considering:

1) Best standard fitment discs/pads retaining Subaru 4 pots: recommendations please as I dunno where to start here?
2) Brake kit with calipers to fit the 16" wheels: 308mm Brembo kit from Godspeed
3) Moving to 17" rims and a brake kit to take advantage of the 17" wheels: 335mm Brembo from Godspeed
4) Moving to 18" rims, TSL recommended AP Racing 6 pot & 355mm discs requiring 18" rims as possibly the ultimate for the road! Good price on brake kit though (1450 inc).

I don't really care about the look of the wheels if I choose to increase the rim diameter - I will be doing it mainly for better braking capacity so I will hunt for reasonably priced wheels and will consider used ....

What is your experience of any of the above that might help me decide, would the differences be noticible going from what I have now through to option 4 - the cost certainly does increase from option 1 through 4 so which of the above is good enough for the odd track day and for twisty road excesses? Is this difference incremental, where's the smart on where brakes are concerned? ... If I had access to cars with these setups I would try em but I have not so I have to rely or your good selves sharing your wisdom/experience/wit.

Cheers
Paul
Old 28 July 2004, 01:32 AM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

I'll paraphrase then, for fast road use:

1) Can stock sized disks with subaru 4 pots do the job with the right pads/discs and where would these be sourced from?
2) Assuming that wheel size not an issue (16 or 17 or 18 or 19), whats the advice as to which size disc/kit to use ?
Old 28 July 2004, 03:49 PM
anfywills
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GimmeMore
I'll paraphrase then, for fast road use:

1) Can stock sized disks with subaru 4 pots do the job with the right pads/discs and where would these be sourced from?
2) Assuming that wheel size not an issue (16 or 17 or 18 or 19), whats the advice as to which size disc/kit to use ?
TRY A YELLOW EBC PAD THEY DID THE JOB FOR GEOFF JONES WHEN HE WON THE GPN 2003 NETWORK Q RALLY
I BOUGHT MINE FROM CAMSPORT NICE BLOKE VERY GOOD PRICE AS WELL
WWW.CAMSPORT.CO.UK 01970 613300
Old 28 July 2004, 04:27 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

I guess youve tried decent fluid in what youve already got, if not try that first

My recomendation assuming youve done that is to have a chat with Ian Godney, hes done brakes on 2 cars for me & both have been superb

Ive currently got AP 4 pots with 335x32 discs in 17" Wheels which will work the ABS hard when used with a vengance. I originally wanted 6 pots but Ians advice was that I would be wasting my money unless I was using slicks, brakes are no better than your tyres. Had I been looking to do a lot of track work they I would probably gone 6 pot but they are perfectly adequate for fast road & the odd track day

AP 4 pots run a larger pad than Brembo, thats the main reason I chose them, I quessed more friction area equates to better brakes but I know people with the Brembos & they are definately up to the job.

Ian's No in case you havent got it is 01656 660899, hes a pain to get hold of but worth being persistant
Old 28 July 2004, 04:35 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

re wheels take a look at these http://www.affinitywheels.co.uk/Prod...am_Redline.htm

Ive just replaced my wheels with them as they give massive clearance for the brakes, are heat treated for strength & are a good price,

For a deal talk to Paul at www.affinitywheels.co.uk
Old 28 July 2004, 06:38 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

Fluid upgraded ...

I'll try the pads first and if there's no joy then 17" wheels it is ... and if so then Stoptech has been suggested and look like a contender: http://stoptech.com/