Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Nasty front tyre wear - suggestions?!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2004, 10:46 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty front tyre wear - suggestions?!

Hi all,

I recently bought a 99MY 5dr and now, looking at it in full daylight without my rose-tinted specs, I see that both front tyres are fast approaching the canvas on a narrow band on the inside edge.

As I'm new to the world of Scoobys, does this just sound like a conventional tracking issue, or should I be looking somewhere else? The N/S front wheel has some slight kerbing damage, but there is nothing else to suggest that it has had a knock; it has certainly never been in an accident or had any bodywork, etc.

Incidentally, the tyres are fairly average looking Kumho ECSTA Supra's(?) on standard 16" rims. The remaining tread has a depth of approx 3-4mm, it is just a band of about 30mm on the inside edge that has been worn off both tyres (N/S is slightly worse) .

Thoughts??!
Old 10 July 2004, 06:47 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MY99-5DR
Hi all,

I recently bought a 99MY 5dr and now, looking at it in full daylight without my rose-tinted specs, I see that both front tyres are fast approaching the canvas on a narrow band on the inside edge.

As I'm new to the world of Scoobys, does this just sound like a conventional tracking issue, or should I be looking somewhere else? The N/S front wheel has some slight kerbing damage, but there is nothing else to suggest that it has had a knock; it has certainly never been in an accident or had any bodywork, etc.

Incidentally, the tyres are fairly average looking Kumho ECSTA Supra's(?) on standard 16" rims. The remaining tread has a depth of approx 3-4mm, it is just a band of about 30mm on the inside edge that has been worn off both tyres (N/S is slightly worse) .

Thoughts??!
if the inside edge has been worn on both sides, sounds like the prev owner had some negative camber dialled into it. Rotate your tires early to even out the wear, otherwise you'd be going through a set pretty quickly.
The awd should wear the tires pretty evenly but a camber setting as in yours would require a more frequent rotation.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:45 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

get the wheels laser aligned. On my old 01wrx they were bare on the inside and fine on the outside. Got the alignment done at TSL and it was a different car mate, handled ten times better and the wear was even too!
Old 12 July 2004, 02:09 PM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
get the wheels laser aligned. On my old 01wrx they were bare on the inside and fine on the outside. Got the alignment done at TSL and it was a different car mate, handled ten times better and the wear was even too!
Many thanks mate, car is now booked into TSL next Weds am !!