Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2004, 08:24 AM
Haxzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Any idea's what a good cleaner for my alloys are?, dont seem to be able to get off the old brake dust etc..., they started off silver now looking very black...

Cheers

Matt
Old 11 June 2004, 12:46 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Revs magazine did a recent survey on various cleaning fluids and reckon that Autoglym is the best. We have tried it but to my mind it's a bit thin and runny and you are warned it must only stay on for one minute max. before washing off. The outside shiny part of the wheels are pretty pristine. However, after many attempts, I am still trying to get the really baked on thick deposits on the inside of my MY01 standard WRX 17" wheels, particularly behind the spokes. Extra problem is the inner wheel area is ribbed so the dust sticks in the tiny grooves there more. I might have to take wheels off and maybe real solution is to spend lot's of time with a toothbrush and elbow grease - I am wary of using any real abrasive pads etc. and to keep using cleaners (which contain some pretty caustic stuff) because I don't want to ruin the base finish which may lead to onset of degradation of the alloy. If I ever get the whole inside area pristine (I must be mad but as that eminent bloke Magnus once said, "I've started so I'll finish") I believe that you could use a clear lacquer to re-seal, or some kind of wax to make it easier to keep the wheels clean on an ongoing basis.

Do any other scoobynutters have any (sensible only please) suggestions on safe heavy cleaning methods and better products?

Last edited by pmarch; 11 June 2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11 June 2004, 10:37 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Haxzer
Any idea's what a good cleaner for my alloys are?, dont seem to be able to get off the old brake dust etc..., they started off silver now looking very black...

Cheers

Matt
I use a product called 'WonderWheels', ive used it for the last 10+ years on a variety of cars....
Old 11 June 2004, 11:15 PM
Dane
Scooby Regular

I use the above mentioned Autoglym Clean Wheels and yes it is runny and you've got to be quick, but it does the job with hardly any elbow grease.
Also using a high power pressure washer before and after gives a much better finish.