Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Cracks in my wheel - should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 09:41 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracks in my wheel - should I be concerned?

..probably, wondered if this is something common to the standard WRX (01) wheel. Just noticed a nasty crack across 2 of the spokes, I could really do with keeping the wheel on for the next 4 weeks whilst my new ones arrive. Anyone else come across this, think the wheel is likely to collapse?
Old 07 June 2004, 09:44 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound to healthy - if I was you I'd get it checked pronto. It might be a hassle, but it's not worth the risk.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:52 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Is this a serious post? Can't tell you how to go about your business, but if you live near me, and you involve me or mine in your inevitable impending accident, you can rest assured I'll help you forget about your wheel! Do you really need to come on here to help you decide the answer to that question? I can see your new but...ffs.
Old 08 June 2004, 01:39 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Thats a yes
Old 08 June 2004, 01:54 AM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

jack up car, take off wheel, throw wheel in bin, after having tyre removed. simple!
Old 08 June 2004, 08:09 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

give the wheel a very good clean just to confirm its a crack not scratch etc
if its cracked dont put it back on
itll fail on a corner and you will go straight on at low speed- any decent speed will dig the suspension arm into the ground and flip and barrel roll the car
use a spare or borrow some 15s from someone it wont look as nice but may save your life
richie(if youre anywhere near s wales i can lend u a 15 or 16 rim no prob)
Old 08 June 2004, 01:28 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

......a friend of mine had similar-sounding cracks in the offside rear alloy of his Lotus Esprit. He was heading to the garage to pick up the new replacement wheel he had on order, came off the motorway and was heading up the offramp at about 70mph when the entire wheel sheered off.

The Lotus was totally scrapped (rolled a couple of times), and he was lucky to escape with his life. Fortunately no one else was involved.

If it's a real crack (as somone else mentioned, it could just be a scratch), don't drive the car until you've replaced the wheel

cheers
DaveR

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2004, 01:33 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

BrynO, it's serious m8!

A similar thing happened to me, both front wheels were cracked. By the time I drove down to the dealership I bought it from, all 5 spokes were cracked (front driver side).
(Before anyone comments, it was nowhere near as bad as that when I left the house.)
Anyway, the dealer replaced the two front wheels free of charge, but had to keep the car for a week, to wait on the new ones.

Anyhow, don't drive it. It's serious!
Old 08 June 2004, 07:35 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

Is there damage to the rim as well? as i cant believe spokes would crack on their own. If that's the case everyone with newage wheels should be examining their wheels.
Check the inside rim for damage too.
Old 08 June 2004, 07:46 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

I whipped the wheel off tonight (not moved the car since I noticed) to check they were not just cracks in the paint, but the wheel really is cracked right across 2 spokes. New wheel on order today, hopefully the AA will be picking up the tab given that I just spent £200 on a car inspection before i bought it and all they noted was 'light scratches'!. The rim is a bit scuffed from kerbing, but there are really no signs of any serious abuse, no buckle on the inside or anything. Soon as my new wheels arrive the other 3 are going in the bin!
Old 08 June 2004, 07:51 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

P.S. Micared, my initial post was a tad tounge in cheek, no way I would have driven the car without getting it checked out! apologies if i got your back up with the tone. Anyway, suggest anyone else with a bug gives their wheels a good check over ASAP.
Old 09 June 2004, 01:30 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Just to confirm guys/gals, mine was a 98 classic and the wheels were cracked.

Apparently this was due to the refurbishment of the alloys. Allegedly someone has opened the door of the oven when the wheels were being cooked. With the rapid drop in temperature and then the increase again, it has caused additional stresses in the wheel.

That's what I was told. Beware of refurbished alloys.
Old 06 August 2004, 07:09 PM
valeturcar
Scooby Regular

Default c

Originally Posted by BrynO
..probably, wondered if this is something common to the standard WRX (01) wheel. Just noticed a nasty crack across 2 of the spokes, I could really do with keeping the wheel on for the next 4 weeks whilst my new ones arrive. Anyone else come across this, think the wheel is likely to collapse?
Refcracked wheels wud like to do a double hit with you at a scooby dealership if thats ok mine were powder coated proffesionally,and one wheel has cracked across every spoke one other wheel is just starting to crack the other 2 are ok,DONT put your wheels back on ur car!!!!

the scooby garage is blaming the powder coaters the p/c'c r blaming the alloy that subaru r using? either way I want it sorted before someone dies!!!!

hope 2 hear fm u soon

my car has 22,000 on the clock with FSSH urs? just for comparison

andy
Old 06 August 2004, 10:01 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Andy, I have replaced the wheel with a brand new one, still have the cracked one. It came off my car at 3 years old, 18,000 miles and the wheels have never been refurbed. I was suprised at the amount of corrosion on the back of all the wheels, after just 3 yrs, they are totally without paint and pretty pitted, maybe that caused some weakness?. Have some pics if any use to you.
Old 08 August 2004, 08:33 AM
valeturcar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
Andy, I have replaced the wheel with a brand new one, still have the cracked one. It came off my car at 3 years old, 18,000 miles and the wheels have never been refurbed. I was suprised at the amount of corrosion on the back of all the wheels, after just 3 yrs, they are totally without paint and pretty pitted, maybe that caused some weakness?. Have some pics if any use to you.

keep hold of your wheel/wheels as Iam calling subaru hq tomm morning,as this seems too much to just let it go by un questioned

where are u inh the country,can u pse also PM me ur contact number and full name in case they ask for it etc etc
Old 09 August 2004, 02:02 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

My 03 has a hairline crack going up one of the spokes - getting the dealer to sort ....