Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Trouble with Caliper Bolts and Banjos...

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 07:42 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble with Caliper Bolts and Banjos...

Having made an aborted attempt at fitting some godspeed 335 mm disks today I have the following 2 problems:

1) Having upgraded from 2 pots to 4's before, I've already fitted braided lines - Therefore, I can't 'pinch' them to stop fluid running out - today I used tape wrapped around the open banjo, then mole-grips to seal - Does anyone have something better (like the size of the banjo bolt - maybe I could just fit a 2 washer'd nut and bolt whilst the caliper was off)...

2) (The reason for the abort !) - The first caliper came off easily, but the 4 bolts that hold the caliper together were V. tight - I undid 3, but the 4th has started to round off - A 14mm socket just slips round .. Obviously I don't need the bolt once its out - so damage is not a problem - Does anyone have any experience at removing one of these...

Moral of the story - DONT start a brake upgrade at 5pm on a Sunday, when you need the car at 6am the next day !

Fortunately, I've put all back together and bled the brakes - so at least I know that the bleed valve are OK ( ) - (Though I don't know the state of the other caliper (?!))

Reckon I'll have another go starting next Saturday - so, thinking caps on gents - Suggestions on a thread or to mark@wildsworld.co.uk - Thanks,

Mark

Oh - its a uk 98 turbo, with 4 pots from 99/00, braided lines.....
Old 06 June 2004, 10:40 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try e-mailin Ian, I'm sure he'll have come across the problem numerous times!!
Old 07 June 2004, 08:14 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I'll give him a ring this morning...
Old 07 June 2004, 04:39 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mark
The trick I use to stop all the brake fluid running out, is to unscrew the brake reservoir cap, place a piece of thick polythene or a freezer back folded over to make it less pliable, and screw the cap back on tightly, this will create a vacuum when you undo your braided lines, there will be some spillage but this will stop. Its just like putting your finger over the end of a straw when its full of water, the vacuum holds it back.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:40 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate .. I did do this, but found it still leaked slightly.. I've managed to get hold of Ian, who actually uses blocks, held with mole-grips, so my initial idea wasn't a mile off.

I'm going to buy 2 pencil erasers (the small rectangular ones) and hold one each side of the banjo with the grips - should do it a treat !

Mark
Old 07 June 2004, 08:58 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Not a lot of help but I had similar problems with the caliper bolts on my L series (basically Impreza) Probably something to do with the number of times I had the brakes off having the discs skimmed Ended up knocking on a smaller socket (whitworth size I think) with a 4lb lump hammer. Worked ok for a few more removals after that. Had the caliper off my STi3 a few times also, no problems yet but the heads of the bolts are just not quite the right size for the spanners for some reason.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:13 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Yeah -0 (I tried the 'hammer and smaller socket' trick....)

Looks like I'll be sawing/drilling the head off......

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2004, 09:38 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

If it was me doing this again (already have the 335mm upgrade) I would just let all the fluid drain into a jar as you are going to have to bleed them anyway and I would assume you would bleed the rears at the same time.

For the bolt holding the calliper together I would grind the head off and then remove the stud after with mole grips etc.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:29 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I've borrowed a stud extractor from a chap at work, so once the head is off, I'm sure I'll have no problems...

Can't afford to have the car off the road during the week, so will have to wait until Saturday to have a go at it....

Thanks,

Mark