Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Real world braking!

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 07:09 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real world braking!

I've been browsing this forum for a while, looking for advice on replacement discs and pads.
Am I really in a minority in being happy with the stock four pots and pads? My last Scoob had 2 pots which were weak but I don't do track days (at least not in the car) and would be happy to replace with Subaru parts or equivalent.

Are there any after market discs/pads that offer similar performance to oe but at a more competitive price (I'm not even sure how much the oe stuff is)?

Are EBC greenstuff really that bad i.e. worse than oe?
Old 13 May 2004, 08:21 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi
Could try pagid discs and pads. I have them and they dont fade as easily as th oe ones, about the same in normal everday use.
Jt
Old 13 May 2004, 10:30 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Green Stuff should not be fitted onto a Turbo.
Old 14 May 2004, 02:22 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Second that !!!!
Old 14 May 2004, 03:03 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
I've been browsing this forum for a while, looking for advice on replacement discs and pads.
Am I really in a minority in being happy with the stock four pots and pads?
Not remotely, they can be made to work extremely effectively. There's a lot of bullsh*t talked in this department, I daresay a lot of the folk who've spent loadsamoney on big brake kits never actually used their old brakes to the limit.

Are there any after market discs/pads that offer similar performance to oe but at a more competitive price (I'm not even sure how much the oe stuff is)?
Don't waste your money on expensive aftermarket discs, the vast majority of them are more about marketing than performance. If your discs are getting a little worn, replace them with BDC5165's from www.sapmotorparts.com. £37 each, and not only do they stop as well as any one-piece aftermarket disc you are likely to find, they are more warp-resistant than the grooved/drilled/ponced parts.

Are EBC greenstuff really that bad i.e. worse than oe?
Even EBC don't recommend these pads for use on turbocharged Imprezas. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

There are a variety of good compounds, what you'd choose depends on your usage, but any one of Pagid RS4-2.1, Ferodo DS2500, Mintex 1155 and the new EBC Ceramic Red should do you fine for enthusiastic road use. To make the most of them, fit braided lines and a good high temperature fluid.
Old 14 May 2004, 07:24 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Must be the different roads in Switzerland - I could get the stock my99/00 setup fading after a couple of hard applications

I found the best compromise to be DS2000 pads with stock discs, anything harsher like DS2500's improve braking performance but also warp the stock discs pretty easily. The DS2000's just seem to gas up and fade, but don't cause any damage.

Whichever solution though, even with uprated pads, you're either fading or warping discs within 5 mins of hard road driving, or within one lap on track.

I fitted a Porsche GT3 set-up, and don't need to worry about braking performance ever again. Best performance mod I ever did

Richard
Old 14 May 2004, 09:11 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions so far - the SAP link is useful.

90% of my driving is with wife and/or child on board so brakes are not an issue. The rest isn't sufficiently hard to cause fade - admittedly I don't live in a mountainous area!

The Mintex pads that I used in the two pots (the ones that came with PPP in those days) were slightly better than oe but the most noticeable change was constant squealing and huge amounts of brake dust.

I still find it hard to believe that the Grennstuff pads are that bad. The EBC website still points you towards them for road use. Are they really worse than oe?
Old 14 May 2004, 09:20 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EBC did some pad trials with SN members last year - I think they offered a better version of the Greens which were found to be OK for the turbo in "normal" use.
Certainly the old version of the Greens were nothing more than butter smeared onto a backing plate. I must have got through mine in 7,000 miles on my Forester and I'm a light braker.
Alyn of AS Performance offers equal or uprated pads & discs that may not have trendy names on but are at least equivalent to OEM stuff.

Nick
Old 14 May 2004, 11:22 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I've just used the site that Greasemonkey has recommended- very happy.
2 front discs for MY00 for 92quid delivered inside 3 days
Local dealer wanted 145 and I had to collect. Piece of pi$$ to fit as well.
I cant comment on the pads though...
Old 14 May 2004, 02:52 PM
Piefan
Scooby Newbie

Default Standard spec pads that don't cost loads

It all comes down to how you drive. If you're not hard on your brakes then standard spec pads are probably going to be fine. When I last replaced the pads on my MY00, I went for standard Mintex pads. Certainly no worse than standard Subaru supplied pads and only cost me about 35 quid I think. Considerably less than the 100 or so quid the dealer wanted.

You can find a Mintex distributer by going to http://www.mintex.co.uk