Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

My Turbo 2000 Calipers are going green

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2001, 12:20 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is my first post to Scoobynet so be gentle.

I've owned a Turbo 2000 from new, March 2000. I've only covered 7k and am concerned that my brake calipers are changing appearance. Instead of the dark grey/graphite colour they were when the car was delivered, they are slowly going a hint of green.

At the last service I mentioned it and they said they'd noticed it on a few and said "as long as the calipers weren't going red from over-heating then I wouldn't worry".

The thing is I've got splendid 17" gold Speedlines and the greeny calipers look sh*t behind them.

If this has been raised before, accept my apologies. I've looked through previous posts in this group and couldn't see it mentioned.

Any comments? Heard of this before?
Old 12 October 2001, 12:32 AM
Tango
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jodster welcome to the fold.

Do you clean them when washing your wheels??

The best thing to do is clean them every time you wash your car with a brush. And for winter use with all the salt on the roads, spray some WD40 or another protector on a rag them wipe it in/onto the calipers .

Do not spray direct onto the calipers though as some will end up on your discs, now thats not a god thing

M
Old 12 October 2001, 12:40 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the board First off I have no knowledge to base this on so please disregard if you think it's total cr@p. My theory would be that the calipers are originally painted black. As the paint wears/changes due to heat it is turning the green colour you mentioned. If you think about it do you have any old black trousers or whatever. after many washes they start to look slightly green. This is what I'm basing my theory on, basically it a change in the paint pigment. you can get paint specifically for high temperatures which means you could repaint the calipers.

Guy
Old 12 October 2001, 01:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh you just know its an excuse to uprate them to a nice set of AP/Brembo 4/6 pots and welcome to the board

Tony
Old 12 October 2001, 01:11 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Smile

I can only assume that they have bad salt damage from last winter. Must remember to rinse off the calipers after a salty run.

Can't really be doing with repainting the calipers. As I have already enquired about it, it leaves me time to make a claim before the warranty is up. Hopefully.

Great site. I've been a quiet observer for months, then had some fun and games with my password but I'm here now. Need to get a photo of the car into the the gallery. Mines a blue 2K Turbo with Prodrive Performance and Handling Packs, WRC Spoiler, leather interior and air con. My pride and joy.
Old 13 October 2001, 12:53 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jodster
They all do that, I took mine off and painted them, they look much better now.
And it's not that difficult either.
Old 13 October 2001, 07:03 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Hi Jodster,

Ron is right. Mine did it especially after using Alloy wheel cleaner. Looked like mushrooms would grow on them soon! The calipers dont like anything caustic. I did the same as Ron and had them stripped and sprayed silver and they look BETTER than when new.

Jerome
Old 13 October 2001, 07:38 PM
Chris Clayton
Scooby Regular

Yep mine went green as well.

If you care about the appearance
you have got about 6 months now
before they start to rust, from the back
of the caliper first.

I didn't do it (and now wish i had done),
but get some brake lacquer on them now
or do what the other lads have done and
get them professionally painted.

Cheers

Chris
Old 15 October 2001, 10:54 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the responses chaps. I'm glad it's not just my calipers that have this problem.

I'm going to get them painted. First though I'm going to attempt a warranty claim on the two fronts which are the worst. If I'm successful I will get the replacements, and the back ones, painted immediately. If I can't get new ones I'll still get the current ones done.

Wouldn't dream of twiddling the spanners myself, I'm mechanically inept you see. Can anybody recommend a paint shop in the Surrey\Sussex area that can do this for me?
Old 16 October 2001, 08:46 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Maybe Darwin's theory of evolution is true & they are mutating into some kind of EBC GreenStuff Caliper