Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anyone used Avon tyres on their Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 01:44 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have bought a set recently and I am just a bit weary in the wet. Has anyone used these tyres before and what were your thoughts on them.

Scruff
Old 24 September 2001, 04:48 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you talking about the ZZ1's if so I had these on my car a thought they were crap . Bad grip in the dry and worse in the wet , I'm sure these tyres were partly resposible for my accident which killed my first Impreza .
Dave
Old 24 September 2001, 05:17 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Avon ZZ1s are absolute rubbish. I replaced a pair that were only 30% worn because I disliked them so much.

Bren
Old 24 September 2001, 08:58 PM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
worst tyre i ever had

mikee
Old 24 September 2001, 11:06 PM
2Scoobysnacks?
Scooby Regular

Used to have ZZ1's, understeer in the dry, ice skating in the wet, very hairy. Now use Toyo's much more smiles per miles
Old 25 September 2001, 06:49 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Used to have ZZ1's on the back of mine (on when I bought the car), total crap - rear end kept slipping out, got F1's on now and it doesn't happen....
Old 26 September 2001, 01:04 AM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Had ZZ1s on when I got my Scoob

Crap in the dry and even worse in the wet.

Switched to SO2s and haven't looked back

Bas
Old 26 September 2001, 10:21 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I went back to the outlet I bought them from and them about some of the problems I have been having with them. On Monday on a completely dry road at a T junction I pulled away with only a little pace and I ended up with the back breaking away viciously. Frightened the **** out of me. The tyre place is going to ring me today. What tyres would you suggest.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Scruff (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 10:42 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Would agree with above that these tyres are poo.
Waiting for them to be an incey-wincey bit more worn and then will replace with F1's or Toyos.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:28 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Scruff

The consensus seems to be Toyo Proxes T1-S, Bridgestone S02 (if ya can still find em) or Goodyear Eagle F1 (GS-D2, V groved shape).

I recently put the F1's on mine at 71.50 a pop all in S02's came in at around 100 quid and Toyos were about 85.

HTH
Cheers
Neil
Old 26 September 2001, 05:19 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

I am being told that because I have chosen 205/45/16s that is the reason the car handles like a shopping trolley now. Seemingly 205/50/16s are what was supposed to go on the car, would this make such a drastic difference to the handling of the car that it slides without warning at relatively low speeds in the wet (30mph), and the back slides out in the dry when entering a main road at a T junction.

I am confused now. The tyre company mentioned things about the centre of gravity is lowered and this would effect the handling. I would have thought that this would make it better not worse??

Alan
Old 26 September 2001, 05:32 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Scruff,

LOL Theyre trying it on because they sold you a cr@p set of tyres! Dropping from a 50 to a 45 profile will have minimal impact on the handling of the car. If anything itll feel tighter because of less sidewall distortion.

Dont let them try to pull the wool.

Regards, Bren
Old 27 September 2001, 07:26 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scruff

I agree with Bren there talking pants. When you lower a cars suspension you lower its center of gravity. The function of lowering your suspension is to improve your handling. Therefore reducing the tire wall height will v.slightly increase handling. I reduced my tire wall size on my old 205GTI with no noticeable problems.

Ask them how they came up with their conclusion and ask them to prove it.

Cheers

Neal

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 01:22 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Absolute Rubbish - do they know what they are talking about!!!

The only difference will be that your speedo will be slightly out, but handling will be unaffected. They are having a laugh. Fact is the Avons are rubbish and anyone who has ever used them says so.......

Give em hell
Old 27 September 2001, 04:06 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmmmmmmm my Mum works for Avon, ding-doonggg and she says that the best product is definitely the hypo-rubbergenic moisturiser, it soaks into the tyre making them silky smooth and soft for that extra grip.
Old 27 September 2001, 04:13 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Sorry, right to be serious. These tyre places are full of flipping cowboys

Bren is spot on, in what he said, having 10mm less sidewall will decrease sidewall deflection = better response and grip, as the tyre contact patch with the road will not fold under the tyre during cornering, thus more of the tyre is in contact with the road = better grip. simple.

As for Avons, never tried them, never will, especially on my scoob.

M
Old 27 September 2001, 04:43 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Heres my 2pence,

I had a Mk3 Golf before the Scoob and needed 2 new tyres, I was looking for a Scoob so cheap was in order. I bought 2 Avon ZZ1's for the rear and they were Cr*p.

I neary killed the car on a slightly damp dual carrageway, right hand way bend. I was not speeding!!I started to brake (before the corner) and the back stepped out, after a few corrections and the car fish tailing down the road, my reations weren't quick enough and the car pirouetted right round and stopped 2 feet from the barrier facing the wrong way.

I bought a Scoob the next weekend and traded the Golf in. Thank God!!!

Imho, GET RID OF THE AVON'S QUICK AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

Iain.
Old 27 September 2001, 08:13 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

The Avon ZZ1 appreciation society!!

I have some ZZ1s on my 16" track wheels for my Supra. They are quite frankly appalling. I thought it wouldnt be possible to have a crp track tyre as once they got hot they would start gripping. How wrong I was. Everybody in the Supra club who has had the ZZ1s has hated them and one guy severely damaged his Supra at Oulton Park because they just gave up.

To add to the amusement, we have a technical guy from Avon on our list, and even he says (diplomatically of course), that the ZZ1 does not perform as well as other tyres, but that their new high performance tyre will be much better.

Even if you have to lose money on them, get them off the car and put something better on. No point killing a scoob due to bad tyres.

JB
Old 28 September 2001, 01:24 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Wink

So is this going to be your new excuse for those off track excursions at Mondello ? Have you got all the gravel dug out yet ?
Why don't you fit a set of SO2's . You can get good discount on them from the dealer listed in the club mag . A good ( and slightly cheaper ) alternative are GY eagle F1's .

LOL Derek
Old 28 September 2001, 09:31 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is any SO2s left on this earth Derek and yes of course I was going to use this as my next excuse for doing Torvill and Dean impressions on our next track day. It has nothing to do with driver skills(not).

I am going to see if I can find the Avon website and send them a letter. The tyres just seem to get worse especially in the wet. I would be better of driving on the rims.

Anyone know of the address for the Avon site?

Alan

Edited to say that I have got the e-mail address of the Managing director who distributes Avons in Ireland

[This message has been edited by Scruff (edited 28 September 2001).]
Old 28 September 2001, 10:43 AM
kevin r m
Scooby Regular

Scruff

Try sales@apexperformance.co.uk for SO2's. I think he's got some left £100/corner
Old 30 September 2001, 10:30 AM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Alan
I am going to change from my Pzeros to get some better wet grip. After reading lots of what is written on this BBS I am going to go for Toyo T1-s, although I would want to go for SO2s I would be worried about what to do when it comes time to replace a couple of them, wouldn't want to have to mix brands.

Andy
Old 01 October 2001, 04:04 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

This is now in the hands of a Solicitor.:C

[This message has been edited by Scruff (edited 01 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 12:36 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Avon ZZ1 + slight moisture = zero friction co-efficient!!

Had a set on my 9-3 Aero. Would squeal at 15mph in the dry and had such sporadic grip that occasionally the ABS struggled to keep up!!. Also wear unevenly and give interesting "Land rover" style hum.

Nice tread pattern tho!
Old 02 October 2001, 01:04 PM
richbay
Scooby Regular

i have just put a pair of avon ZV1 on the rear of MGF, the car now handles very poorly do you think i can take them back???? i would certainly not put them anywhere near my scooby...
Old 02 October 2001, 06:38 PM
2Scoobysnacks?
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trouser:
<B>
Also wear unevenly and give interesting "Land rover" style hum.[/quote]

Sounded like my car had Tank Tracks when driving on concrete roads
Old 02 October 2001, 07:07 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Keep us posted on any news Scruff.

I think where you have a case is that ypu went in looking for S02's and as he was out of stock HE recommended these "ceramic" tyres.

Paul.
Old 04 October 2001, 07:26 PM
Marty.S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just got rid of my ZZ1 tyres and got S02's.
Change them at all costs, they are absolutely
terrible in wet conditions and not very good in the dry!!
They are the only thing between you and the scenery, dont take a chance and get some s02s or Toyos soon.
Marty
Old 15 October 2001, 10:33 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

It's amazing what a good Solicitor will do for you. I got a call from the area manager and they are willing to take the Avons back and give me a full refund. This is all I wanted at the start and I was willing to pay whatever the difference was for S02s or S03s. I am sure the tyres are suitable for other types of cars but they definitely don't suit the Impreza set up.

Cheers

Alan

[Edited by Scruff - 10/19/2001 9:52:57 AM]
Old 16 October 2001, 04:02 PM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

Here's my views on Avon ZZ1s ... and its not too much different to what's been written before on this thread. I've had the tyres on my car since I bought it around 6 months/500o miles ago, and without knowing what SO2s or Toyo T1-s are like I still think they are pretty awful. There is OK grip in the dry but in the wet the car slides all over the place, on a large roundabout anything above 40 mph and I'm weaving around like a mad-man.

There's still loads of tread on the tyres but after reading this thread if there's any way I can get rid of these tyres for either of those mentioned above I will do it pdq ... any ideas please???

Cheers
Phil

Quick Reply: Anyone used Avon tyres on their Scooby