Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Opinions and advice please ..

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2001, 09:15 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doofus, yes this could be the problem. Are the P-Zeros on the back 'New' or do they have a few miles on them?

Swapping to a set of S-02s will improve things buy quite a bit.

Also get the wheel alignment checked. This could also be an issue.

Dan
Old 01 October 2001, 09:55 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Doofus, its not that unusual for a scoob to be sliding in the wet, I would leave the P-Zeros on the back. I would look more at replacing the front tyres. I have found that when they get low, they start to slide with ease (depending on make/model tyre). RE10's slide well in the dry, let alone the wet. I then moved on to Toyo T1's, also at this point I moved up to 17's. They was a lot better in the dry and a good deal better in the wet, they gave good information about what is GOING to happen. I have now moved on to S02's, again these are another step up on the grip scale. They just give so much convidence, in the wet, what more can I say.

When fitting new tyres, do them in pairs. Either the front or rear. NEVER side by side.

My opion would be to get some new P-Zeros for the front, i.e. You will then only have to buy two tyres. They take about 750-1000 miles to bed in and start giving proper grip.

Dan
PS. All the above is MY OWN OPION.
Old 01 October 2001, 11:42 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Doofus,

I know your in Scotland but bumpsteer, bumpsteer, bumpsteer, bumpsteer, bumpsteer.

It will transform your car. I know I've just had it done.

Ian
Old 01 October 2001, 11:17 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

The wet handling of this car is an enigma. Sometimes it slides like its on ice, next it has incredible grip. The main factor which affects this is driving style, I think. I have tried a variety of tyres (RE-010, T1s, Firestone and most recently PZero). The end result is similar. I have not however tried SO2s. I have also tried different tyre pressures and standard pressures (33 and 28) are best (MY98 5 dr).

I find that, invariably, sliding in the wet is caused by cornering on a trailing throttle. I've not been on track days so far so I've not tested this to the limit but I find that if you brake hard just prior to the turn-in and then drive through the corner even with just a little throttle, understeer disappears.

I would not recommend PZeros. I think these are slightly worse in the wet than the previous tyres.

D.
Old 02 October 2001, 04:21 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

The Bridgestone S-0x Pole Positions are very good IMHO, although I have not tried the S-02PP on my own car (on a m8's STi 4).

They do take about as long as the P-zeros to get really grippy (Looong run-in), but are better in the wet than Pirelli's or Michelin's finest (IMHO again).

If you can't get a full set, then the first place to start is to get 4 of the same tyres on your car I reckon'. Best of luck