Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pad Fitting Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 12:29 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got instructions on how to fit new front pads on to a UK MY99. Is it an easy DIY job or should I get a professional to do it?

Cheers
Gary
Old 06 September 2001, 02:51 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Gary,

It's dead easy, someone did write some instructions quite recently, but basically the pads are held in by 2 pins which run across the back off each caliper, once these are out the pads should come out quite easily.

You may need to lever the pistons open a little as there may be a lip on the outer edge of the disk.

Installing a new set is the reverse of this, don't forget to use copper grease and get the anti-squeal shims in properly.

To install the new ones you will definitely have to force the pistons back into the calipers but so long as you don't open the bleed nipples to do this you will NOT have to bleed the brakes afterwards, the pistons will position themselves when you push the brake pedal (may need a couple of pumps to get them back into position).

Andrew...

PS. Disclaimer - If you are at all unsure about doing this yourself then please get a professional to do it.
Old 08 September 2001, 07:03 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I did it myself and it was much simpler than I thought. Just one question though - should the disc be loose once the wheel and the pads are off. The Honda Civic I previously owned (A VTi of course) has the disc fixed to the hub.

Cheers
Gary
Old 08 September 2001, 08:31 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

yes the disc is loose on a scooby the wheel nuts hold it when the wheel is fitted.

On some cars the disc is kept in position with a small screw but this is normally on cars that don't have studs that stay on the hub when the wheel is removed.Without the screw the holes in the disc and hub can go out of alignment,making it a bugger to fit the wheel

Andy

[This message has been edited by AndyMc (edited 08 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 07:38 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Question

Just out of idle curiosity is it the same for the rears ?

Thanks