Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 12:51 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all,

Just after some community advice

I have finally decided to get some 99 spec 4-pots for my UK MY97 Impreza Turbo.

I have decided on EBC Turbo groove discs and the only thing that puzzles me now is which pad compound to use. I have never done any track days and drive 'progressively' on the road.

Help please

Iain
Old 16 August 2001, 01:36 PM
Simon Graham
Scooby Regular

EBC advise Reds for an Impreza - there should be a scrap of paper in the disk's box.

I've got greens (had the pad for ages before fitting) and they're a significant improvement over the standard stuff.

And, yes, I'm assured the disks are meant to make that strange noise. You'll know what I mean soon.

With hindsight I'd have gone for the Scoobysport group N set-up. Wonderful thing, hindsight.......
Old 16 August 2001, 04:21 PM
Thin Client
Scooby Regular

I've had EBC reds fitted to my MY99 on Black Diamond grooved and drilled disks for about 3000 miles. The pads are terrible until you've got them warm so make sure you brake early on motorway exit slips!

I found the overall setup not much better than standard but it worked out cheaper to upgrade than replace with original thru dealer!

My wife's Golf gti brakes are a million times better than the scoob's ever have been so i guess a six pot upgrade may be on the cards.

HTH

Hadi
Old 18 August 2001, 08:12 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

......I had reds on the front with Sti 4 pots, EBC disks but only got 1000miles out of 'em...however I think it was the last 100 miles round the Nurburgring that finished 'em off ..now running yellowstuffs and greens on the back - very good when warm.....
Old 18 August 2001, 10:04 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Well I think it comes down to this. Greenstuff are great from cold, with improved initial bite and better resistance to fade than the standard pads. A good road pad! Another bonus - newest release V4 has very little brake dust, which is good!

Redstuff are not a great track pad, there are many other which will bit harder fade less and last longer (Mintex, Ferodo, Pagid etc). I have driven cars with both fitted and would recommend the Greenstuff for mixed road conditions. The Redstuff is not a great pad really, not tried the yellows but I think they would be better than Reds for the track as they don't seem to last long!

Anyway for my Road use (50% motorway/ 50% country roads) I have the green stuff/turbo groove combo. Works very well, and stands up to hard driving on the road. I would imagine it wouldn't last that long on a track though.

Jon
Old 19 August 2001, 12:51 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

I have decided to go for the Turbo Groove Discs, Green pads and goodrich hoses.

Managed to get an amazing deal from a place called 'performance city', spoke with a chap called Graham and he did me a deal of £250.00 for the lot .

I have no connection with the shop etc., just amazed by the price, (thought he had forgotten about the hoses).

Cheers, and thanks again for your help

Iain
Old 19 August 2001, 01:49 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

my EBC findings,

greens+standard disc-good road pad,just do not go near a track with them.
reds+standard disc-best all round pad,okay from cold,good on track,but do not last long enough.500 road miles and 30 laps of Knockhill.
yellows+pagid 16 groove-sh**e from cold,lasted 1000miles+65 laps of K/hill(2 trackdays)pedal soft after 1st,thought it was fluid,plenty of material left(another trackday possibly) but removed due to large cracks in material and also material coming away from backing ,oh they squeal like pig too.

on track I usually do 1 quick warm up lap,5 fast,one gentle cool down,so do not know why the yellows are seperating.new set of pagids in and pedal is firm again.

if reds lasted longer I would run them all the time.

john

[This message has been edited by T-uk (edited 19 August 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 20 August 2001, 04:38 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

That's a good deal, I've just had Goodrich hoses, Pagid blue pads all round and fluid changed to dot 5.1 on my MY98 2 pot calipers... difference is quite noticeable, I'll be up for grooved discs next as mine are lipped on the front.

Simon.
Old 29 August 2001, 07:14 AM
Nick V
Scooby Newbie

I agree with T-uk, the greens are o.k. for the road, but surprisingly the reds are too quick wearing for the track - I went through a set of new ones in a morning a couple of weeks ago at Goodwood

The best I have used are Mintex 1155, although they are a bit harsh on the disc (track use) and they are not too bad on the road, but they do last. Ferodo are too dusty imo,

Cheers, Nick
Old 29 August 2001, 06:34 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Red face

DS2000's - EBC's wear out quicker than your car can stop.

Old 31 August 2001, 03:15 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Question

Can anyone suggest a mail order ratailer for EBC pads, apart from the scoobynet shop.

Thanks
Old 01 September 2001, 02:30 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Gazzer,try Demon Tweeks

Darren
Old 02 September 2001, 10:39 AM
KONABOY
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ^Gazzer^:
<B>Can anyone suggest a mail order ratailer for EBC pads, apart from the scoobynet shop.

Thanks[/quote]

Gazzer,
Have you tried