Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bridgestone SO2 Puncture - Safe to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2001, 03:23 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a puncture yesterday in one of my 17" SO2s. It looks like a large nail has gone into the tyre about 1.5" from the edge. This nail has come out and the tyre went down virtually instantly.

Does anybody know if this will be repairable safely? I am keen to keep the same tyre as it is part of a set of four which are all around half worn.

Cheers,

Ian.

P.S. I don't recommend the A686 with a space saver on
Old 19 August 2001, 08:06 PM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

It could depend how far you drove on it.

Have you seen the inside? This is often where the real damage is done.

Has your tyre dealer commented on it yet - I assume not?

It may just be me, but I am not too happy with repaired punctures on performance cars.
Old 20 August 2001, 08:17 AM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

I've repaired one of my 18" S02's. Was punctured by a large nail. Fixed it and it works just as new. Have done some highspeed driving too so I don't think there should be a problem.
Old 20 August 2001, 06:40 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice.

I went to National Tyres today. They said it was unrepairable and offered to sell me an Avon at £120 Their price for a replacement SO2 was £180

I tried another place down the road and the mechanic there suggested that it might be repairable if it was sent away? Their price for a new SO2 was £140 inclusive. That particular branch didn't handle repairs and he suggested ATS.

Will it be OK if I just swap one tyre? (the other tyres are approaching half worn)

Cheers,

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian E (edited 20 August 2001).]
Old 20 August 2001, 08:04 PM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

Again, I prefer to change both tyres on the same axle, unless the other one is relatively new.

I was quoted around £120 all in for an S-02 a few months back for 225x45x17. I decided to change all 4, and went for Toyo Proxes.

You may find it increasingly difficult to find S-02s, as I believe that they are being replaced ( not necessarily by the S-03).
Old 20 August 2001, 08:17 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian..

The like of Kwki Fit, ATS, National Tyres are more likely to try and sell you another tyre..

I know a place local to me in the North East
that get replaces the Traffic police cars tyres when they are punctured. He repairs those tyres by Vulcanising them and sells them on to people who want them. I've bought some off him and mates too and had no problem with them. Although it does depend on how bad the puncture is and how close it is to the tyre wall.

I was unfortunate enough to get a large piece of wire in one of my old rears early this year and it was unrepairable. I was working away and replaced both tyres on the rear together to ensure equal tyre size and tread, avoiding damage to the axle.

O.M.
Old 20 August 2001, 09:49 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the advice.

O.M. I agree - they would sooner sell another tyre than save my cash. Vulcanising sounds like the way forward. I'll take the tyre to another dealer and see what they reckon. What does the vulcanising process do?

At the end of the day if it is unsafe to repair I accept I'll have to pay out for a new one....or two.

Anybody got a half worn SO2 going cheap?

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 21 August 2001, 11:32 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Been to a few tyre dealers and it looks like the tyre can't be repaired (safely)

A local tyre dealer (who owns a Scoob) reckons I need to buy two tyres as you can't mix different tread depths on the same axle without damaging the diff? The tyre on the other side is just under half worn. Does this sound correct or does he just want to sell me two tyres?
Cheers,

Ian.