Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY03 - New wheels, brakes (& tyres)

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2004, 08:03 AM
sheepslayer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 - New wheels, brakes (& tyres)

Have decided to get the Prodrive suspension upgrade fitted, with the intention of then getting 18" wheels and eventually upgrading the brakes. Reading around, there seems to be different requirements for the wheels depending on the brakes - is this to handle the larger discs or calipers? What does the "ETxx offset" refer to - is it something to do with how deep/wide the "hole" on the inside of the wheel is?

It appears that the WRX and STi brakes are different, but I can't find out if the WRX upgrades require the STi size wheel or the WRX one (i.e. which ETxx values would I need). If I do need different wheels post-upgrade, can I use them pre-upgrade aswell? Basically, since I shall probably do the wheels first, I don't want to get a set that will preclude a later brake upgrade (although I may eventually go with just doing the pads - still need to do some research on this).

Since I need new tyres about now (still reading up on the current favourites), I may squeeze the plastic and get wheels at the same time as the springs and get a deal. I'd prefer to find ones the same as are currently fitted but in 18" and with an Anthracite finish. I currenty have the standard wheel ("17 SILVER ALLOY WHEEL" on the accessories list). The reason to stay the same should be technical, or at least due to a love of the style, but is actually medical. If the good woman spots a difference, I'll probably get heartache, earache, headache, probably with other anatomical pains. Sad, I know. Still, maybe if I fitted roman blinds and painted the interior in a nice pastel shade....

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 03 May 2004, 09:59 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Give your local dealer a ring to find out about offset's

My dealer told me to give them a try if im after new wheels I like some of the Prodrive wheels so I'll be giving them a ring before ordering any

What wheels you fancying mate??
Old 03 May 2004, 03:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Offset refers to where the flat mounting plate of the wheel lies in relation to the true centre

If you are serious about fitting brakes such as STi Brembos, then the 18" OZ's will not fit IIRC. You would need 19".
If you're upgrading brakes then there are many levels dependent on budget and requirement. A simple, cheap and adequate upgrade for most road use is simply to fit better pads (Ferodo DS2500/EBC RedStuff Ceramic) along with braded hoses and better fluid (DOT 5.1), for around £160 Clicky . At the next level you might consider larger discs, but this is where it starts to get expensive, as you will then need matching calipers unless you go for a kit like Godspeed, which re-use the existing (and quite good) caliper on a bracket to move it out to fit the larger rotor. Budget £600+. After that the cost gets silly, and unless you track regularly or are a total hooligan on the road, quite unnecessary. AP/Brembo 6 pots come in at £1200+.
I'm planning on doing the pad/hose/fluid change in time for my next trackday in sept, and will only consider going any further if this is still way too inadequate. I'm sure it will be more than suitable for road use, and as I only track 2-3 times a year it seems like a waste really.

Last edited by corradoboy; 03 May 2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04 May 2004, 07:35 AM
sheepslayer
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys.

Having done some more reading, I tend to agree with Corradoboy's thoughts on upgrading pads etc.

Am I right in assuming the "ET" figure is the offset from the outside of the wheel? It seems that a smaller ET figure is required for the Brembo brakes (which I imagine are bigger than the standard ones), and also that too small a figure results in the tyre rubbing on the outside bodywork (see thread http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...+offset+brakes ). If so, I guess the non-brembo size is better anyway (keep weight closer to wheel hub).

Now I just need to decide which wheel!